What is a power converter used for in a camper?

I'm helping a friend renovate her old camper and know little about electrical. I know that converters changes the AC to DC, but I don't know why I want AC.

7 Answers

Relevance
  • Paul
    Lv 6
    6 months ago
    Best answer

Most appliances run on AC current (clocks, lights, tvs, etc.)

• don r
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

Voltage inverters change dc to ac.

• 6 months ago

Find someone who can help you in person.

• khalil
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

the voltage and power of your devices?

a 220 ( or 110 ) volts .... x watts ...INVERTER ...connected to the battery

USE only 75% of x watts device

if it is 1000 watts use maximum 750 watts device

Attachment image
  • What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 6 months ago

You plug into AC at the RV park. It is either 110 30 amp or 220 50 amp. It goes into the converter and you get 110 out of the outlets inside the RV. It is also converted into DC and that runs some of the stuff in the RV plus it charges up your batteries. When you unplug the power line your RV runs on the batteries, which are DC. If you want the TV to work, you need 110 so the converter changes the DC back to AC at 110 volts. If you do not use anything that uses AC then it will not matter but that is unlikely.

• 6 months ago

By generating the same electricity you use at home, you can use more of your favorite appliances, entertainment, chargers, etc. instead of having to buy 12 volt specific items.

Lv 7
    6 months ago

My camper converter changed DC to AC for my wife's medical equipment when we had no AC electricity on the camp site

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.