how do i gauge if i won my disability hearing?

• Judith

If you are talking about social security disability or SSI disability - you don't unless the judge told you your claim will be approved - which they sometimes do. So you wait for the written decision just like everyone else does. If you have an attorney who attended the hearing with you, ask your attorney - he or she would probably have a good idea if they've represented other disability claimants.

I accompanied my sister to her hearing and I knew from everything the judge said that her claim would be denied. It was. But then I was a social security claims rep for 32 yrs and knew the point of the questions and where he was going with them.

Even if you or your attorney have reason to think that you might be approved, the judges can always change their minds between the date of the hearing and the time it comes to signing their written decision - they discuss the merits of the case with their writers who are also trained to analyze evidence.