Does store bought potato salad freeze well?

I wouldn't think...I had some homemade freeze on the top shelf of my fridge once. The potatoes got gummy and tough, the eggs got rubbery, and the mayo/mustard "dressing" separated. It wasn't edible.

The difference between homemade and store-bought might include a preservative of some kind that might make it possible, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

• IvaB

Potatoes always get a "mealy" texture when frozen,so I have to say no.

• geezer

Forget the potatoes .. nothing with that much mayonnaise in it will freeze well.

No potato salad freezes well. It will screw up the texture.

Don't buy potato salad-- make it yourself. Homemade is leagues better

Store bought or home made Potato salad does not freeze well.

NO! Mayo doesn't freeze well.

That being said, potato salad keeps for quite a long time in the fridge. Longer than I'd keep meat leftovers!

• A.J.

Generally no. When potatoes are frozen commercially, the process is extremely fast. Freezing often breaks cell structure and the texture is not acceptable. It is edible as food, but will have a different texture and water separation in defrosting it. Refrigerate it for up to a few days and discard the remainder.

No. Don't freeze any potato salad.

I would not recommend it, especially because it is likely to have mayonnaise.