Does store bought potato salad freeze well?

14 Answers

Relevance
  • 5 months ago

I wouldn't think...I had some homemade freeze on the top shelf of my fridge once. The potatoes got gummy and tough, the eggs got rubbery, and the mayo/mustard "dressing" separated. It wasn't edible.

The difference between homemade and store-bought might include a preservative of some kind that might make it possible, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

• IvaB
    Lv 5
    5 months ago

Potatoes always get a "mealy" texture when frozen,so I have to say no.

• geezer
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

Forget the potatoes .. nothing with that much mayonnaise in it will freeze well.

• 5 months ago

No potato salad freezes well. It will screw up the texture.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 5 months ago

Don't buy potato salad-- make it yourself. Homemade is leagues better

• 5 months ago

Store bought or home made Potato salad does not freeze well.

• Anonymous
    5 months ago

NO! Mayo doesn't freeze well.

That being said, potato salad keeps for quite a long time in the fridge. Longer than I'd keep meat leftovers!

• A.J.
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

Generally no. When potatoes are frozen commercially, the process is extremely fast. Freezing often breaks cell structure and the texture is not acceptable. It is edible as food, but will have a different texture and water separation in defrosting it. Refrigerate it for up to a few days and discard the remainder.

• 5 months ago

No. Don't freeze any potato salad.

• 5 months ago

I would not recommend it, especially because it is likely to have mayonnaise.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.