Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 5 months ago

Is it wrong to hit your dog/puppy?

A couple months ago I got a dog. I live with my parents and siblings. I am the youngest. My family thinks that hitting the dog is a good idea. I know everyone has their own opinions but I personally don’t think it’s a good idea. When i talk about it they say I’m acting stupid and it’s the only way the dog will learn right from wrong. For and example if my dog goes up stairs she gets a smack. Today she got smacked and she was scared and ran straight to her bed. I notice whenever one of my parents is near her (the one that hits her) she gets scared and runs off or just doesn’t seem how she usually is. I know I can’t do anything I just want to see other opinions about this.

33 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    5 months ago

It’s never a good idea to hit a dog you should show love to them

• 5 months ago

Yes very wrong , you would not even be teaching your dog anything but to be afraid of you and too be nervous when you tell them to do something.

• 5 months ago

I dont believe dogs should be cuffed or hit unless to prevent injury.... I´ll be honest i cuffed my dog only once in his life when he decided that my 18 mth old grandson was to be herded though before he got to him: Normally i never hit dogs because I have far more respect for them... he was about 12 inches away from nipping him when i reacted and deflected my dogs action. By slapping his shoulder, then controlled him further with words. My reaction has not caused the dog to fear me either he simply understood this is a no no and has not attempted anything like it since.... when my grandkids are nerving him these days he simply goes out to his ewes and lambs of his own accord and avoids thus their playfulness

Attachment image
    Source(s): Shepherd
  • 5 months ago

No dog or cat should ever be hit. Not even once in their lifetime. Abuse is abuse.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Darcie
    Lv 6
    5 months ago

Yes. That’s abuse. Try writing a nice but assertive letter to your parents about this and teach them about positive reinforcement. Have them watch “It’s Me or the Dog”.

Thanks.

• annie5 months agoReport

I don’t have a choice my family won’t listen there’s nothing I can do. I try talking to them but they all say I’m just a kid. Both my parents and both my siblings think it’s okay. I can’t change their opinions.

• ron h
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

You're gonna need to find a new home for this dog. If you can find a new home for both of you, that's good. If not, find it a home where it won't get abused.

I can’t I’m not even old enough and I can’t imagine giving this dog away. I will help my dog to get out of this. All I know is when I am older and I move out I’m taking her with me.

• 5 months ago

"Hitting" is simply not justified when a light paddling will well get any dogs attention and then in a firm voice express disapproval of a bad behavior. Even loud shouting is overboard and unnecessary.

Many will not even agree with me on this.

Your parent is going beyond just getting the dogs attention and that results in teaching it fear.

I bet there s no praise or a 'good dog' pat in return for good behavior either.

• 5 months ago

Ask your dad if he ever saw another dog 'hit' another? Only ignorant people think that way. Too dumb themselves to know it. He is apply human behavior to a canine & poor canine doesn't understand. It creates fear in the dog. Not respect. If the dog was trained to be an obedient dog, he wouldn't have any reason to hit the dog. Google Basic Obedience Training. Lots of information & instruction videos. Step by step. It is only 7 commands but they are obligatory. The dog has to learn just as children have to go to school.

• patty
    Lv 5
    5 months ago

A LOUD VOICE WILL SUFFICE

I tell my dog no and talk to her firm with a loud voice she listens but my parents say “they don’t know english” or “give her a good smack and she’ll listen”.

• 5 months ago

I'm also against beating animals. I think it's wrong. They should be treated with care, love and respect.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.