Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 5 months ago

If you eat kale, how do you personally like to have it?

I was scared to eat it raw but then a made a salad with it and to my surprise, I didn't taste any bitterness.

I also made a smoothie with it and if I do not add enough apple juice, it does taste bitter. so i balance it out with other greens and juice...

What about you?

I sometimes substitute it for spinach when I make 'beans and greens'. The traditional Italian greens for that is escarole, but I don't use it.

Other times I steam it and then saute it with some bacon or pork, which cuts some of the bitterness and adds flavor.

I prefer my kale in small quantities. If using it raw in salads I will roll two or three leaves into very tight cigar like rolls and then slice as thinly as I can, 1/16 to 1/8” at most so it is in long threads, then I sprinkle a little salt on it and “massage” the kale by squeezing it over and over to help break down the fibers, then add it to the salad. Adds a nice dark green color.

Baby kale in salads is good too, when the leaves are teeny.

I’m not a big fan of lots of kale, or cooked kale and if I were to put it in a smoothie it wouldn’t be much. I personally very much prefer chard which is leads coarse or even better, baby spinach.

Not that into kale but a good kale salad with almonds, dried cherries and homemade dressing is good.

In sandwiches, after I've wilted it in a little oil on the stove.

I usually just sauté it in olive oil with a few cloves of chopped garlic.

• CB

Kale chips are my favorite way to eat kale.

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/176957/baked-kal...

Whisk a tsp or two of balsamic into the oil before tossing with the kale for added sweetness.

• C

I'm not fashionable in this regard. I like it cooked to death, either as part of a soup or stewed down with some sort of cured pork product, whether salt pork, bacon or pancetta. I've never understood how leathery "salads" got so popular. There are plenty of more tender cabbages to use in fresh salads.

• chorle

I dietician suggested I have kale instead of salad, The next day I told her how bad raw kale tasted then she said I meant you should have cooked kale instead of a salad.

I like to cook kale(or other greens) in water with spice sausage

I just use it in place of lettuce when lettuce is scarce or expensive. It is also far easier to grow than lettuce.

Nah, no thank you. I eat plenty of other veggies to jump on the kale bandwagon.

there is no magic to it.

• denise

I so agree, other veggies are much nicer.