Is it fair to say that Trump's trade tiff with China is having its desired effect?

18 Answers

Relevance
  • 5 months ago

When it comes to political analysis, I try to keep my personal feelings out of it. I don't think it is having the desired effect yet. It is hurting China's economy, but it may be something they try to weather out in hopes that Trump is not re elected. I have heard several reports that say the farmers support what Trump is trying to do for them, but the question is how long will that support continue. If there is still no deal 6 or 12 months from now then that support may start to wane, and that could be what China is hoping for.

• Anonymous
    5 months ago

To an extent I’d say yes, obviously there are consequences, but remember tariffs are as much political tools as purely economic ones.

China are as guilty if not more so of protectionism. China is a dictatorship with a statist infrastructure, they are not a free trade economy and their economy is growing at an astounding speed, which shows us protectionism DOES WORK if implemented correctly.

It is China NOT TRUMP or America or the EU that have created this inevitable situation. The US and EU are reacting to an unsustainable situation where western countries have open markets but their main competitors do not.

https://thefederalist.com/2019/06/19/yes-tariffs-m...

• Michael
      Lv 5
      5 months agoReport

Funny how the Chinese can get their act together and create growth for their country,why can't the Americans do the same?And the EU,they have a better working-relationship with rest of the world than the Americans do.So you mean that the American tariffs place on the EU,are all the fault of China.

• 5 months ago

"desired effect"

And want is the desired effect?

That Harley Davidson motorcycle are now having difficulty in selling their products international because of Trump's tariffs?

30% of Harley's motorcycles are sold to the EU alone but, sales have fallen due to Trump's steel and aluminium tariffs on the EU and Turkey, let alone China and others. And Harley is just one example.

Is that what you mean by the "desired effect"?

• John P
      Lv 7
      5 months agoReport

What is the "desired effect"? Disruption to international trade seldom works out as its perpetrators intend.

• sam
    Lv 6
    5 months ago

no, unless the idea is make america look stupid.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Marduk
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

Yes, soy farmers and pig farmers are being screwed royal. Just what he was hoping for. MAGA!

• zeno
    Lv 6
    5 months ago

Yes .......................

• 5 months ago

It shall. We have to wait for the PRC to think.

• 5 months ago

Yes. the Chinese are caving like a house of straw.

• Anonymous
    5 months ago

Trump has gained nothing with his tariffs. He has to pay billions to farmers to cover their losses. China has not agreed to do anything. If that is what he desired, then yes.

• Anonymous
    5 months ago

Oh Yea !!!!

TRUMP 2020 !!

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.