Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceOther - Education · 5 months ago

Do employees ever become violent towards supervisors / managers , upon being terminated?

Or are most people calm and composed right after these unpleasant circumstances?

I'm sure some people have become violent at some point in time, but it's not in the norm.

Calm and composed is also not necessarily the norm.

Not sure why you think this is either/or.

There is a whole lot of area in between those two extremes and that is where I would place most of the people I've fired.

The most extreme I ever had towards the scary end of the spectrum was someone who yelled, argued, huffed/puffed, stormed around slamming doors and chairs while gathering their things.

The most extreme on the other end of the spectrum was someone who thanked me for the opportunity, told me I was the best boss they'd ever had and hugged me goodbye and said they'd miss me.

Being terminated is not really a surprise to most of the people I've fired. The actual firing itself is usually pretty quick and drama-free. Neither employer nor employee wants to prolong THAT conversation.

• Lili

Yes, it's certainly happened, but fortunately, it's relatively rare. Obviously most people who are terminated will be upset, but they rarely lash out violently.

• H

One of my coworkers fired this employee and his dad called shouting at them. Seriously? I find that embarrassing that someone's daddy had to confront them.

Very few are violent. Very few are completely calm. Some cry. Some are verbally abusive. Some try to talk you out of it. Some can't believe it. Some blame other people, including the boss, for their failure to do the job.

But most termination meetings are quick and quiet. If the boss did their job right, the firing wasn't a complete surprise, and if they were kind in the telling, the reaction is usually subdued.

Sometimes people get angry later, which is why it's a good idea to have them leave immediately and to end their access to the building and all computer systems right away.

Source(s): 36 years in HR
  • Stacey

i went to the bathroom in my bosses office a few minutes after he fired me

It's rare but it happens.