Why don't people have front porches anymore?

• Judith

I grew up (in the 50's) on a street where everyone had front porches - but no one used them. Although all the kids in the neighborhood played together - and there were tons of kids - the parents didn't socialize much and if they did they visited with each other inside.

While I think front porches look nice and inviting I don't see many people using them - they're inside with the air conditioning when it's hot or they socialize via the media now. Maybe they're busy carting kids all over the place for their many,many student activities (parents didn't do that when I was growing up - we walked or rode our bikes).

One of my grandmothers had a big, wide front porch with a swinging bench on it and the only time anyone ever used her porch was when the grandkids visited and used the bench. We swung back and forth a few times and that was the extent of the use of that porch.

I'm thinking air conditioning is one major reason why people don't use porches much anymore.

My Great Grandparents has a porch ever since they've been living in that house

We always hung out on the front or back porch. Still do from time to time. Especially the back porch. But my mom threw us out of the house and told us to stay out until she finished cleaning, and said kids dont belong inside unless it freezing, snowing or raining. :/ I still love the out doors today. When I set up my homemade mini camper, I put up the canopy, sit in my chair, put on some tunes and have a drink and something to eat. The indoors are boring. (as I type this inside my house lol)

condos often have a small terrace,or a cement half ft front stoop,,labor & taxes make stairways a lot more expensive than they used to cost

I think most people have realized that a "back yard" offers privacy and it's a far better place to relax than the front, where noisy cars go by and nosy neighbors can look and wonder.

Traditionally, large front porches were used for socializing and hanging out during the heat of the summer, when it was too hot to be inside. Since the advent of air conditioning, they're not practical in many places. They're still found in norther homes where summers are shorter and cooler, because people are less likely to have central air.

I have real large, nice front porches on a duplex I have tenants living in. I really miss the front porch I had over there, but I prefer the single family residence I live in now. I have a small front porch that's open for everyone to see, and only big enough for one chair. I never sit out on it like I did with the front porches at my duplex. The porches over there are very private. I always think about trying to find someone to build me a porch over here & design it to be similar to what I have over there. I think it's neat to sit out on a nice porch & have plenty of room for flowers & plants. I see some people in my neighborhood have built on front porches. It's probably expensive to do just like everything else.

While not 100% true, architecturally house designs did begin to eliminate front porches from home designs when air conditioning became more prevalent. Hence eliminating the need for living space in the open air.

• ?

Hanging out around you're house got considered low class. In poorer neighborhoods there is a big hanging out culture of lots of people congregating outside. So insecure middle class people made a point of never being seen hanging out.

I'm unsure but I love front porches!

I have one and it floods every time it rains.

• equal

everyone is blocked we don't hang out on lazy summer evenings being friendly