How do I make my 1983 Ford LTD Country Squire faster and more hp? It is the 5.0 V-8 4spd automatic.?

My choice would be to get the engine, transmission and ECM/s from a Ford Mustang or some other Ford product that is at least a 1997 model.

There are other choices but dollar wise not cheaper. Like a head swap to make a Boss 302 out of what you have.

• Trump 2020

Kind of like doing an engine swap on an aircraft carrier IMO.

Don't waste your money. Sell it and buy a car with better performance.

• M.

Replace the 302 with a 351 Windsor engine.

You would have to spend about 3 times what the car would sell for on Craig's list. Is it WORTH doing?

• don r

Totally hot rod it- have the engine blueprinted, add hedders and turbo. Strip out all the seats but the driver's, the door panels and headliner have to go.... still not as quick as a Mustang or Taurus SVO...

My reference book says the base weight of that car was 3900 pounds - probably closer to 4600 equipped. The 5.0 came in either 130 or 145 hp versions.......and I assume it's geared for maximum mpg, not performance.

So there's no practical way to make that combination fast - but a lead foot will kill it quicker !!! Enjoy the ride - although those Fords were greatly downsized from previous years, they don't make anything that quiet, smooth & cozy anymore.

its an old car that was built heavy. You would have to make some major changes. Like adding a turbo.

• .

That's an old station wagon. You could change the engine, I suppose.

Turn it into a Corvette.