I bought a Powerline 1200 internet extender. Will this be considered "Hard wired"? I have to have this for a work from home job?

• Who

I would not regard it as "hard wired"

Since Powerline adapters operate over mains wiring rather than a normal UTP cable then they provide a wired connection.

Assuming this relates to security, then you should not have any WiFi Powerline adapters, and you possibly should turn off WiFi in your router.

Security of Powerline versus UTP (Ethernet) cables should come out in favour of Powerline. Powerline systems use encryption, which you can configure yourself, between the adapters, while normal Ethernet is not encrypted. With normal unscreened Ethernet cables, and suitable equipment and access to the cable, without actually touching the cable, it should be possible to pick up sufficient signal from the cable to 'listen in' on what is being transferred. This applies to 10 and 100 Mbps Ethernet. Faster Ethernet splits the data across multiple pairs making it much more difficult to intercept.

When I was working from home, I had an end-to-end VPN that meant there was an extra level of encryption applied even before the data reached the network adapter in my PC, that was removed only by the matching VPN end-point in my employer's server. This applied over both wired and wireless connections.

I hope this helps.

• Lv 7

uh, that would be "wireless", not "wired".

"hard wired" means direct from your PC to the internet, with no go-betweens.

• Dick

Ummm ... it is "wireless" unless you utilize a CAT 5 or 6, 10/100 cable to go from the extender to the computer. It is just as insecure with the 10/100 cable since the interface is the extender and not a closed cable system.

No b/c the signal is traveling wireless at some point. From a tech standpoint, it shouldn't matter if its hard wired or wireless for security, a network is a network, no extra danger if its wireless or wired.

• Richard

Routers only send data down the specific Ethernet cables due to the level 2 routing in the router. Unlike true wireless, you cannot listen in to traffic unless you have a router that supports monitoring of other ports. Two paired Powerline adapters offer the same security.

• David

I would consider it hard wired. Powerline does use encryption for the signals that it handles, nor does it use WiFi which most security experts would consider unsafe

• Joe

If the "hard wired" requirement is for performance (i.e., you're running an application on your PC for which Wi-Fi is too slow) the powerline adapter will probably do the job.

If the "hard wired" requirement is somehow security related, it may not qualify.

If you can provide the context of the "hard wired" requirement, I may be able to comment further.

• Richard

Since Powerline is encrypted, and Ethernet is not, then Powerline ought to be more secure. Also, providing there are only two adapters that are paired, it is a point to point connection.

no hard wired means a cable from router or modem to computer.

IMHO that's not hard wired - but you should check with the tech people of your employer