Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingPregnancy · 5 months ago

Is it possible for me to get pregnant whith twins ?

Ok so me and my husband are planning on getting pregnant but I was wondering if it was possible for me to have twins? My husband is a twin himself I’ve heard that having twins depends on the women not the man. I’m not sure if I really have twins in my family but my mom has a cousin who’s wife gave birth to twins (so maybe twins run in her family) we don’t talk much to them to exactly know and I think my mom has mentioned someone in our family being twins someone older than her even but I’m not sure so say a pair of twin runs in our family what are the chances and also twins running in my husbands family by his mothers side including himself having a twin brother ? (I wouldn’t know about my fathers family because he’s adopted and we’ve never met or known anyone....but what if he did?) I’ve always had a strong feeling about twins I don’t know why and my aunt has wished for twins too I never really asked why tho

Are the twins on yourside fraternal or identical. Only fraternal are inherited. The older you are and the more previous children you have had then the higher chance. But then again my first pregnancy was fraternal b/g twins when i was 20. I was the least likey person to have twins and it still happened to me.

• jules5 months agoReport

Your not ‘geriatric’. Its more when your over 35.

Your husband being a twin does NOT help your chances of becoming pregnant with twins.

The genetic part of twins is because the woman releases two eggs instead of just one egg. There can be genetic factors that increase the likelihood of a woman releasing two eggs. Your husband being a twin does not impact your body's chances of releasing two eggs.

The chances of having identical twins - one egg and one sperm splitting into identical twins - is the same for you as any other woman on earth. This is NOT a genetic issue and could possibly happen to any pregnancy.

If you and your husband have any daughters - then your daughters WOULD have a chance for twins because her father is a twin. The genetics can pass from father to daughter. So, even though a male twin has no increased chance of having twins for children - there is an increased chance that he could have a daughter that would have twins. (There is a set of twins in my husband's family. One boy and one girl. When they had their families, neither of them had any twin children. The brother has a daughter - the daughter had twins.)

• Edna

Twinning is completely dependent upon the female and the eggs she produces. The male having twins in his family has no bearing upon it. I'm not too sure that a woman having twins in her family has much to do with it either.

When a woman releases two eggs and each egg is fertilized by a different sperm, the result is fraternal twins - two babies who are siblings. They might be a boy and a girl, or two boys, or two girls.

When a woman releases only one egg that is fertilized by one sperm and then that egg "splits", the result is identical twins - two babies of the same sex who look exactly alike and who share identical DNA.

• MissA

It's possible. There's really nothing *you* can do to make it happen, apart from some really unethical use of fertility drugs... twins are intrinsically riskier for both them and you than singleton pregnancies.

Its the luck of the draw, if you ovulate two eggs (one from each side) or the egg splits you'll have twins, yes the fact that he's a twin will probably up your chances.. but the only way to 1000% make sure you'll get pregnant with twins is through IVF.

• Pippin

About a quarter of IVF cycles result in twins or more. (And of course no doctor is going to DO IVF for a fertile couple JUST so they can have twins.)

• helene

Okay---twins are all about EGGS, not sperm. So your husband being a twin will not affect your chances.

Your mom's cousin's wife is not a blood relative, so HER having twins will not affect your chances.

In order to have twins, either YOU have to release more than one egg at ovulation (meaning fraternal twins, if two eggs are fertilized), or your one egg splits during the first few cell divisions after fertilization (identical twins). Identical twins are a random occurrence; there is nothing you can do to to increase your chances of having them.

• Pippin

Yeah -- she said that when she saw the ultrasound screen during pregnancy #2, she started swearing fluently. (And sadly, only one of the two babies survived.)

• Pippin

Of course it's possible. Any pregnancy CAN be twins. You don't have to have a family history to have them. (And family history only slightly increases the odds of fraternal twins -- no influence on the odds of identical twins.)

But -- I hope your 'strong feeling about twins' is a hope that you DON'T have them. No rational parent would 'hope for' or 'want' twins. Most parents want a healthy normal pregnancy and a healthy baby. Twins pregnancies are FAR more likely to be complicated for the mother, and FAR more likely to result in miscarriage, prematurity, and infant mortality. No idea why you would 'want' that kind of risk.

can't choose what you what, you get what you get ................

Source(s): Grand Dad of Eleven.
    • John P

Indeed you cannot choose what you get. twins are possibly more likely for you if there are some instances in your family or your husband's family, but don't take that as a "yes" or a "no". Basically, no predictions of number or gender are possible.