is there any way to keep my key fob from turning on my car s interior lights?

Every time I unlock/lock my car doors using the key fob it turns on all the interior lights and everyone can see inside of my car clearly for the few seconds

and it kind of bothers me. I decided on using blue cellophane over the lights casings, but would still like to know if I can do something a little more than that.

My SUV, to be more clear.

Also wanted to add, I dont have anything valuable kept in my car. Just a tote bag full of detailing products. I just like to have some privacy, as car owners do with their trunks. Just a simple question either way.

Just for others that keep adding on: "This will override the illuminated entry feature, unless you use your keyless entry transmitter (if equipped) to unlock the vehicle." It's common sense for anyone to look through their vehicle's manual for some good knowledge.

Keep the cellophane on or go for red cellophane instead, if you desire a darker lighting.

i dunno but there are way too many choices with cars these days,its like programming a vcr from the 80's.and nobody uses half of the options in their cars.keep it simple.

• don r

Read your owner's manual. If there is a way, the manual will tell what it is. My guess is, though, the dome light has a large switch on it for you to select how it works. Go look at yours yourself, because I can't.

• V5 months agoReport

I went through my car's manual already. It says the dome light override switch won't work if I use a keyless entry transmitter.

• Edna

The fact that you have a key fob has nothing to do with it. There is a switch on your over-head light assembly that you can set so that your interior lights won't come on when you open or unlock the door. Read your owner's instruction manual to learn how to set the switch so that your interior lights will (or will not) turn on.

• Edna

You had better read the owner's manual again. My sister has a keyless entry (a key fob) on her SUV & the interior lights don't come on when she opens the door. She has the interior light switch on the overhead light assembly set to "off".

• Scott

Read the owner's manual for your mystery car. The lights come on so you can clearly see if anyone is inside your car when you get into it.

• V5 months agoReport

I went through my car's manual before. It says the dome light override switch won't work if I use a keyless entry transmitter. Go figure.

• JetDoc

READ the owner's manual that came with the car. There's probably a section in there that will tell you how to disable this "feature" if you don't want it.

• V5 months agoReport

I went through my car's manual before. It says the dome light override switch won't work if I use a keyless entry transmitter.

Take the bulbs out.

Just turn the light switch to off.

• Percyqted

Use the switch in the light, I don't know your vehicle but you can usually choose one of three options:-
      Automatic on (comes on when a door opens or the key fob is pressed, then goes out)
      ON Stays on all the time
      OFF Never comes on, As others have said read your driver's manual.

• Ron

You can follow any instructions stated in the owners manual.

Take out the light bulb.

• Rick B

My car has a setting that determines if the lights come on or not. No idea why you would be concerned that people can see inside your car though.

• V5 months agoReport

I have that option, but it doesn't work against the key fob.
      I may just take the bulbs out. It's only two interior lights that I'm not too fond of; the center one and the rear one. I don't mind the two interior lights in the front.