My nephew from Poland wants to come to the United States to visit myself and my mom. He’s underage, so what will he need?

My nephew from Poland wants to come to the United States to visit myself and my mom. He’s underage, so what will he need? Will he need a copy of my ID to verify who will pick him up at the airport and a letter of consent from my brother in Poland? Answers are welcome.

• Lisa A
    1 year ago

What airline allows international travel by unaccompanied minors???

1 year ago

He'd need a tourist visa but how to handle his travel depends on how underaged he is. Most commercial airlines set the limit for unaccompanied minors at 16. So if he's over that age he'd likely just travel as any adult would (without special handling by airline staff).

• 1 year ago

He'll need to apply for a visitor's visa, the B2, at the nearest US consulate. In order to get it, he has to overcome the default assumption that he's a risk of overstaying, and I strongly advise anybody in such a situation to ponder this thoroughly, because a denial on record is pretty much a dealbreaker for years to come.

Once the visa is issued, he needs parental permission, so a notarized form, translated into English, certainly woudn't hurt.

Source(s): An immigrant from Europe, I live on the American Riviera and work as an attorney in Santa Barbara, California.
  • Maxi
    1 year ago

'Underage'....... depends on his age as some airlines will not allow children to travel alone regardless of the letter from a parent giving permission to travel... so first look at age requirements, he will then be required to apply for a tourist visa ( B2))

• 1 year ago

The answer from ibu guru is correct. The answer from Gypsyfish is wrong. Citizens of Poland are not eligible to use the Visa Waiver Program (ESTA). He needs an actual B2 Tourist Visa.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visa...

• 1 year ago

He (or his parents) must apply for his tourist visa - you cannot apply. His parents will have to provide written, notarized & verifiable permission for the minor to travel from Place to Place from Date to Date to stay with Relative Name, Address, phone, work phone, & cell phone to verify. Depending on age, the parents may have to pay the airlines for child attendant service.

Depending on age, general "street smarts" & sophistication of the minor, it is often unwise for unaccompanied minors to travel internationally. Unfortunately, there are those who prey upon minors when traveling, and a lot of scams, child trafficking, etc. Even fairly well educated, well behaved, reliable 16-17 y.o.s have been victims of predators. You and your brother & SIL want to do everything you can to ensure that child is safe!

• ?
    1 year ago

He needs to apply for an ESTA visa. The visa application will specify what he needs. He'll need a notarized letter from his parents giving him permission to go. They need to ask the airline about whether they need anything to show that you will be picking him up- that's an airline issue, not a visa issue. If he's over 16, he probably won't need anything from you.

• 1 year ago

Tell him to stay. The US has become a banana republic under Nazi Trump