I m trying to sell a car on eBay but wondering if this guy is real or of it s a scam?

Okay so I posted my car on eBay on June 2nd and the next day I get a guy interested in it and he says he ll buy my car and he s okay with the price which is $7,500 and he has not hassled me on it but the thing I can t get is he said he will send me a check and that was on June 3rd and it is now the 18th and he still hasn t sent it and he said once he does he will also send me tracking info with it, he also says that he s a construction worker in Colorado but he lives in Arizona and the reason why he hasn t sent it out yet is because he keeps telling me he is too busy now I don t know what to make of this whether it s real or fake can someone help me out here?? I ve also called eBay to confirm whether this guy is real or not and they told me if we don t call you back then nothing s wrong but if we do call you back something is fishy and they never called me back.

Update:

he doesn't respond to my messages half the time also he never answers the phone when I try to call him.

11 Answers

Relevance
  • Edna
    Lv 7
    6 months ago
    Favorite Answer

Look - the guy hasn't sent you a check to pay for the car, and he keeps offering you excuses WHY he hasn't sent a check. He either no longer wants the car, or he doesn't have the money to pay for it, or he wants you to release the title to him before his check clears your bank. Either way -- as far as you're concerned, the deal is OFF!

Cancel the ad on E-Bay; re-list the car for sale on E-Bay, and sell it to someone else.

• Joseph6 months agoReport

He hasn't mentioned anything about the title

• 6 months ago

You just described exactly why I avoid ebay.

Y? I've sold cars on there before! I even buy stuff from EBAY

• Erik
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

He's either a scammer or a flake. Just quit while you're ahead, and stop responding.

• JetDoc
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

If you DO eventually get a check from this person, don't sign your car title or do anything else until his check actually clears your bank and you have the cash in your account. And if someone offers to send you extra money, over the asking price for the car to pay for shipping, it's a scam.

In the mean time, don't stop trying to sell the car. My policy is that the first one who puts cash in my hand takes the car home.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • ?
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

Scams usually have some sort of an end goal to get something, so unless he starts saying that the check is in the mail, and he needs to car now, before the check has arrived, he's not really getting anything out of it by stringing you along. If you're worried, give him a deadline and stick to it. Its really not that hard to write out a check and post it, and if he cant find 10 minutes to do that, he doesn't really want the car.

Yep! exactly what the fu*ker was doing!

• 6 months ago

SCAM, SCAM, SCAM

• 6 months ago

All you need to do is tell the buyer you will not release the car until the check clears, then only if your bank says its OK they can pick it up or send somebody else to get it.

I believe he knows that which is why he hasn't sent me the check yet cuz he knows I'm on his *** like a leech!

• Never
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

Guaranteed scam. If someone does not meet you in person and see the car first, its 99.999% scam.

The cashiers check will be for more than the car and he will tell you to keep half of it if you send half the overage. You do it, then the check bounces and the money you sent is gone and you owe a bounced check fee. And your bank might even close your account because you should know better.

• 6 months ago

100 percent a scam. I sell cars and I deal with guys saying the same thing all the time.

It would seem that way then! because he is the only person to contact me about the car I'm selling and willing to except my full price which by the way rarely ever happens when selling a car!

• 6 months ago

Most are scams. I would not release the car until you received the money by wire transfer and the bank receives it. Any type of check can be counterfeited.

The problem is how does the buyer know that you are not a scammer and that you do not have a car?

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.