Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationMaintenance & Repairs · 5 months ago

What would happen if I don't change transmission fluid for 200k miles?

Maintenance light came on at 90k miles but I ignored it. Now car has 110k miles. Transmission shifts fine.

So can it go 200k miles?

12 Answers

Relevance
  • 5 months ago

Some systems are sealed for life, so look up the specs for your car and go with that. Too easy. Someone designed it, and they know what fluid it needs and how often.

• Erik
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

It's just not worth the risk. Transmission service is less than $100, and even cheaper if you do it yourself. A rebuilt transmission costs thousands.

• 5 months ago

I'd change the ATF every 60,000 miles.

All of my vehicles have had 280,000 miles on them when I sold them running great.

Don't flush automatic transmissions. Do a drain and fill if the ATF filter is not serviceable.

Source(s): Mitsubishi Master Tech
  • ?
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

I don't think anyone can really say for sure. It might go fine for another 90k miles, or another 190k miles, or it might break down tomorrow. You're probably better off getting it seen to as soon as possible, rather than leaving it.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • In
    Lv 6
    5 months ago

Changing the transmission fluid and filter for $75-120 is far cheaper than spending $1800-$3000 for a transmission.

• Anonymous
    5 months ago

I would check the transmission fluid. Grab a clean paper towel and wipe the transmission dipstick if the fluid is still red then you should be fine. If the fluid is brown or black then it would be risky.

• 5 months ago

You are already overdue. Have the fluid changed or you won't get to 120,000 miles.

• 5 months ago

The oil gets dirty which brings dirt to your transmission. It is not that expensive but changing a tranny is I recommend you do it

• don r
      Lv 7
      5 months agoReport

Cars' transmissions and engines do not share fluids of any kind.

• Henry
    Lv 4
    5 months ago

It only matters if it actually breaks.

• 💜
    Lv 6
    5 months ago

You want to wait until you get to almost 300k miles on your car before changing the fluid? You’re gonna Fck up your transmission.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.