What would you do if your apartment complex demanded this from you?

So, I had recently moved into an apartment with my s/o and dog. We loved the place and was excited to have it. We were notified of all charges in the beginning (security deposit, dog fee, etc.) And it was listed on one of the final documents we signed. Well there was all these pro rates taken into an account and we added up everything and it seemed correct so we payed all the money the day of move in. (The communication was HORRID, we found out that we got accepted 5 days before move in, we had to physically show up to ask, and her response was "oh youll have time" and we work 50 hour weeks.....) anyway he get a notice in the mail sayign we owe $350 due by the following week, no explanintion...ok no? We call and they said they messed up the final costs and excel miscalculated the total for the dog fee and they need the $350. Now I was PISSED as it through off my check book balance and I originally thought i had extra money and spent it on new apartment things. We settled on paying it before July 1st, even though i dont believe I should pay it as it was their mistake. Anyway, I get another notice saying the payment is due by JUNE 21. Now, im just livid, I call and they said they need it by then so they can log it in the books (to save their own asses) and I grew so upset I am now resorting to upper management. Am I wrong? What would you do? (There had been multiple miscommunications on their end I just dont have the energy to type it all out.)

We had never agreed on June 21, she previously said before July 1st is fine, meaning I had up until June 30

Did you sign something that stated all the fees and pay the fees on said statement? If so, you owe them nothing, they eat their mistake. If no, then you owe it.

• alicia5 months agoReport

Yes. On the lease it had all of the fees including the pet fee on it, they just messed up the total. I signed it.

• Amy

You pay the amount stated on the lease you signed. They do not have any right to add additional fees after the fact, even if omitting it was their mistake.

If your lawyer or accountant made an error when a case of your was closed and they refunded you what they thought was the balance in your trust account - $500, calling it a final statement/account closed...A month later, they realized that there was $1,500 in your account and your $1,000 was still sitting there - it's YOUR money. You would want that money back, right? They would be "obligated" to send it to you. Why do you think you don't owe what you DO owe, just because their calculations were off? Obviously, you have never had any education in accounting or legal figures. There is something called "errors & omissions excepted", E&OE. It means they have the right to fix an error in the figures. You owe the money. Even IF there was a legal loophole that meant that you did not have to pay it, which there is not, part of being an "ethical" and "moral" human being is paying your due fees and costs and not trying to rip off someone over a typo or a miscalculation. Shame on you. I mean really!!!

Source(s): Certified Paralegal, with 25+ years' experience & with Landlord & Tenant law experience.
    • alicia5 months agoReport

Shame on THEM! They make thousands if not millions a year. They should be double checking as they're expecting the money. When I pay what was the total at the bottom, and (it even said pet fee on the lease was included in total cost) I am assuming I am doing my financial duties.

• Lolly

You owed it before you moved in. Didn't you know what the rent, deposit and pet fee would cost?

• Lolly

They should have collected all fees up front that's the way it should work.

money needs to be PAID. "PAYED" has nothing to do with money.

what country are you in? we don't use the word Horrid a lot in the US.

Move-in is always traumatic. As the saying goes; 'if it will not matter in five years, drop it'. Of course you are worried that this is a sign of the way things will go for you throughout your tenancy but it does sound like teething troubles. Stand your ground on dates, be firm and (of course) polite. Sounds as if you agree that the new numbers are right and that the initial bill was wrong.

Upper management complaints may turn around and bite you in the bum when you need a favour from the handyman.

• Judy

If something is their mistake in calculating it, you still have to pay it, they'll often give you a little extra time to pay. I'd probably tell them they''d said by July 1 and you'll pay it before then, but won't have it June 21.

If it's part of the lease and you didn't pay it, then it's both of your fault.

If it's not part of the lease, you don't owe it.

Pay it June 21st... Pay it June 30th... it's not going to matter (5 business days)... as long as you pay it

• DEBS

Yup, you need to talk to their bosses. Lay into them about it.

Make sure you get EVERYTHING is writing going forward. No verbal agreements for payments or such. If you have it in writing you have until July 1, then make them stick to it and include that in your communication to management.

• alicia5 months agoReport

I emailed corporate, (its a large chain management)

First, I would go back to school & learn how to spell PAID.

smh

What most people would do is say, SORRY, I DON'T HAVE IT and try to figure out a solution that works for everyone.

I would not have gone over their head to corporate unless I was 100% sure local would refuse to help in any way. Because you have to deal with these people in the future and getting them in trouble with their boss will not help you when you need a repair and so do others.

• Mark

And "threw", not "through".