Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 5 months ago

Do sandwiches freeze well?

I tend to spend alot while I m at work on sandwiches was thinking about doing a pile and frezzing them. Was thinking stuff like egg salad , cheese salad , cooked fresh chicken. For me it would save me so much time than buying everything fresh on the day and peeping it.

No. The bread will turn mushy once it that again. So will lettuce and it will also start to brown.

• Katie

If the sandwiches contain lettuce NO.

You're right that it's expensive to buy lunch every day, much cheaper and healthier to make your own.

Sandwiches are good, just make up your fillings for the week, they will keep in the fridge for 3-4 days. I like tuna mayo with a bit of chopped red onion and apple, humous with grated carrot, cheese and pickle etc. Make the sandwiches the night before or in the morning- any earlier or frozen and the bread will go soggy and nasty.

Pitta pockets and sandwich thins are great, you just shove in the fillings in the morning.

It's worth buying those plastic containers where you can easily carry different foods and keep them chilled when the weather is warm , especially if no fridge at work.I sometimes freeze juice packs and put them in with the food , they defrost by lunchtime.

If there is a microwave at work, you have a lot more options!

• GEEGEE

No. I'd be inclined to make the sandwich the night before, or the morning of. Or if your company had a fridge keep ingredients there and make a new sandwich each day.

• Clive

It depends on what's in them. Those would probably work. But even better, make sandwiches the night before and refrigerate them.

yes they do of course

For breads, meats and cheeses, yes. You need to seal them in ziplock bags to prevent freezer burn. Don't use a self-defrosting freezer. The sandwiches need to be frozen continuously. In a deep freezer, they will keep for as long as you wish.

Mayonnaise or mayonnaise based salads will not be a good choice because mayonnaise will separate. Most other condiments would be okay.

For vegetables such a lettuce or sliced pickles on the sandwich, freezing causes them to become soft or soggy.

• Eva

Mayo based salads don't freeze well. Then tend to separate when they thaw.

No. Egg salad will be watery and have an odd texture. I've never heard of cheese salad, but most cheeses develop a texture issue when frozen. Cooked fresh chicken would be ok frozen by itself, but probably a little dry. Bread is fine if frozen as a loaf, but if frozen as a sandwich with wet ingredients (lettuce, tomato, salad fillings, etc.) it will develop ice crystals and be soggy when thawed. The lettuce and tomato will also be gross.

No.

On your day off, get your sandwich filling ready whether it's egg salad, roasted chicken, bacon, whatever. Make your sandwich each night or each morning with the ingredients that are already prepped.

Hard French rolls or sandwich rolls tend to hold up better than bread IMO (although whole grain ones are harder to find if that's important to you). You can also learn little tricks like putting your sliced tomatoes in a tupperware and taking them to work separately instead of putting them on the bread at home which makes everything soggy.