Was a minimum wage EVER intended to be a living wage?

I mean, if you are past your teenage years, shouldn't you be striving for something better?

23 Answers

Relevance
  • Z
    Lv 5
    6 months ago
    Best answer

I think a minimum wage is intended for those who are only willing to put the very minimum effort towards advancing their lives. If someone feels that they deserve more than minimum wage (or that it's not enough as a living wage), then it's time for them to do something about their life ambitions.

• ella6 months agoReport

We don’t live in a meiritocracy. Though it is a nice thought, different people have different things holding them back. Sometimes a minimum wage job is the best a person can do, so why shouldn’t it be enough for them to survive on?

• Alan H
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

Nobody should have to work for payment that is insufficient to live on

A so-called living wage is often far from that

• tammy
    Lv 6
    6 months ago

Ofcourse you think all the lectures about college is a joke? You gotta find your passion no matter what it is and go to college! Life is very different from an inexperienced worker and an educated worker. Make sure you take a business class so you know how to stand up for your self and what you deserve for pay.

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

When FDR signed the law, it was meant to provide "a minimum standard of living necessary for health, efficiency and general well-being". So I'd say yes.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 6 months ago

No, it is not & never was intended to be a "living wage," just a floor for entry-level & unskilled workers to prevent discrimination - "job to the lowest bidder."

• Zirp
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

Yes it was. Striving isn't enough when those better paying jobs don't exist.

An how are you going to get an education if all your money goes to other expenses and/or all your time is spent working?

• Mark
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

Nope. But there are not nearly enough jobs to go around and people are being more or less FORCED to take crappy jobs in order to survive. I really doubt someone whose husband suddenly died, leaving behind her and three children WANTS to work at McDonald's, but it's better than sleeping in a car and begging for money at a stop light.

• Lots of jobs today. Signs all over the place. No excuse right now. Hell, you can be a truck driver in a few months.

• 6 months ago

imean im a teanage kinda but i think we shouldnt make them poor when you have fatcats like trump sitting on billions of dollars not payin it top eople

• -j.
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

If you think only teenagers are making the minimum wage, you need to wake up.

Conservatives think minimum wage is a measure of value of the work. It is not. It is a measure of "this is literally the least I can pay you without it being illegal."

• -j.
      Lv 7
      6 months agoReport

No, because the greedy rich people won't cut into their profits to pay a better wage.

Rich people are the richest they have ever been, and the gap over everyone else is widening, not shrinking.

The wealth is flowing up to the top, not getting stuck in the middle.

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

nope, never was ...............................

• 6 months agoReport

Go back 100 years and you'll be saying a different story.

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

Of course not.

The idea of a living wage is stupid. If you can't make a living based on your skills then you have a choice. Either get better skills or work two jobs. There should be no free rides.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.