Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceTaxesUnited States · 5 months ago

How many allowances should I claim on my W4 form?

I am filling out my W4 for my first job. I thought it was 2 allowances because: 1. "Enter 1 for yourself" and 2. "You're single and only have one job". I am confused because someone told me I should put 0 because my parents still claim me as dependent on their taxes. Please help!

For possibly the first time in the history of Yahoo Answers, "someone" is right. If someone else claims you as a dependent, then the allowance for you goes on their W-4, not yours. You only put the 1 for yourself if no one else claims you as a dependent.

• Judy

zero if your parents still claim you

If your parents are claiming you then you cannot also claim yourself. Single zero is a safe way to go - you will get the money back from the government if you withhold too much.

You'd be wise to make that number a zero. If you claim 1 or 2, you will get more money each pay period, but you will owe taxes when you file.