I have a networking and data question.?

The office I work in has a very poor cellular connection and almost no data speeds. It is just the construction of the building. Can anyone recommend a device that I can plug into my PC via USB to turn it into a wifi hotspot? I just want to be able to connect my phone to my PC and share my PC internet speeds. Or if you have another suggestion on how to share a network connection let me know. I greatly prefer not to do a split of the Ethernet cable going into my PC to a wireless router, but I can as a last resort.

We are still running Windows 7 and there is no IT department. It's a small company with no oversite. The Dell computer I am using is almost 10 years old. Trust me technology isn't key here.

Favorite Answer

You should probably first consult your IT department to see if that is allowed. Often times, adding devices not related to work can be a security risk.

If you have Windows 10 on your work PCs, you can enable a Wi-Fi hotspot (assuming your computer has a Wi-Fi card installed). This hotspot will allow you to connect any Wi-Fi compatible device to your PC and then access the Internet.

I was an IT intern last year at a local dried fruit facility. My manager would get a bit annoyed when other employees wanted to get on the main corporate network with their personal devices and they hadn't filled out a form for that. He would tell them that until they do that, they have to use guest Wi-Fi network. That's the main reason why I suggest you talk to your IT department first.

we you fail him

• Lv 7

uh, why not just use your PC then?

otherwise, get a wifi extender.