Clara asked in Social ScienceSociology · 5 months ago

Why did people leave their doors unlocked in the 1950s?

Surely this wasn't as safe as they thought it was, because there was crime then as well. I once saw a movie set in the 50s where a woman left her door unlocked and someone walked into her home and attacked her. They had nothing worth stealing back then, but there was still crime even then. Why did people leave their doors unlocked in the 1950s?

21 Answers

Relevance
  • 4 months ago

I lived in a small town. Every body knew each other. You could and did leave bikes and garden tools out.

There wasn't any problem. Every body looked out for neighbors. And being in America, we have a lot of guns.

Source(s): Grew up in the 1950s
  • 5 months ago

Same reason we left our cars unlocked with the keys in the ignition. It was a time of children being polite to adults, neighbors watching out for others, and no druggies.

We stood and recited the pledge of alliance in school, and had prayer.

We spend time on our porches.

No one had their head in a cell phone all day and their thumbs busy texting. There was one phone of the kitchen wall, a party line

• olivia
    Lv 5
    5 months ago

Where I experienced childhood in provincial northern England the front entryway had a lock yet no keys. It was a crapy pine entryway that had swollen and wouldn't open except if you kicked it hard. That didn't make a difference however in light of the fact that nobody utilizes their front entryway other than for weddings and burial services.

The secondary passage had no lock at all until it was supplanted during the 90′s, and, after its all said and done we scarcely ever made sure to bolt it.

I currently have a home in community New Zealand and I routinely go out opened in case I'm not going to be away excessively long. I positively don't bolt the entryways of I'm in. I completely expect companions and neighbors you have the option to simply stroll in.

• 5 months ago

Because as you rightly say, most people had little worth stealing. I bet the people you are referring to were country, or small town folks, who knew most of their neighbours and it would likely be a passing stranger of ill-repute who would harm them or rob from them. I bet if you lived in a city and had a lavish lifestyle, even then you already locked your door regularly. And it's also often said that you 'could' leave your doors unlocked and no harm would come to you: it wasn't a common habit to routinely leave doors unlocked.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Kenny
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

Guess the druggies started stealing for drugs.

• 5 months ago

They may have had crime in the 50s however it was nowhere near to the extent of what it has become.

• rick
      Lv 7
      5 months agoReport

Crime was much higher in the 1950s than now!!!!!!

• 5 months ago

The obvious answer is because they didn't feel the need to.

• 5 months ago

Here in UK it was in places where 3rd World migrants had not yet reached

• Mark
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

There was crime, but home invasions were extremely rare. By the way, we didn't start locking our doors (except if we were away for days) well into the late 1970s.

• 5 months ago

There weren't as many news outlets that report every single break in crime like we hear about today. People were blissfully ignorant to crime numbers back then.

• rick
      Lv 7
      5 months agoReport

Our current crime rates are lower than at any time since records were kept. It's all sensationalized by the media!!!

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.