Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetSoftware · 6 months ago

Free alternatives to WinZip?

On my work computer I use WinZip a lot and am overall very happy with it. I recently bought a new laptop for personal stuff (social media, games, personal email etc.) and I need to unzip some files on there, but I can't justify paying for Winzip on there too as I doubt I'll use it very much. I know you can get a free trial for Winzip that lasts a month that will do for now but is there a free file unzipper that I can use in future? Doesn't necessarily have to work as well as Winzip, just so long as it does the job and is free.

Thanks in advance.

7zip is the best

it will do everything the paid version of winzip will do for free

i have EXCLUSIVELY used it for years

Unless you are adding a password I see no reason to purchase anything. Windows has zip built in. To compress you just right click on the file and select "sent to" compressed file. To uncompress you just open what looks like a folder with a zipper.

• DeMoNsLaYeR575

because windows "build in" compression is trash.
      it will compress things about 1/4 as much as other software but take much longer to do it (it only uses a single core)

Try looking into " Winrar " or " WinRar" . Something like that. Should be a totally free unzip program.

• Robert J

Winrar is fine. It's a trial but still works after that, just with a nag screen..