Is Randy Rhoads an overpraised and over-loved guitarist?

What do you think?

I think he was a very talented player, but many rock fans tend to worship him too much, treat him like a guitar god. There is too much hype about him. Why?

No he isnt. You stupid if you feel the need to detract from even a little of the praise that he gets.

Source(s): nothing

I believe thatt he's overrated. I don't want to bash him too much, because I don't like disparaging the dead, but as far as his innovation and technique - both areas are lacking., Although he was able to play extremely fast fingered, his leads are very sloppy, similar to Jimmy Page. Just listen to Crazy Train. As far as innovation, he brought nothing to the table that either Eddie Van Halen or Angus Young weren't already doing.

• Andrew

He was an incredibly talented guitarist. He was raised in a home where music was a huge part of everybody's life, and he was capable of playing several other instruments besides the guitar. He was well versed in musical theory, he began playing guitar at the age of 6 and by 16 he was considered a prodigy. He was widely considered a virtuoso long before he died. He had made a name for himself before becoming the guitarist for Ozzy. He was a fixture on the L.A. circuit in the late 70s, was a contemporary of Van Halen and was seen as being at the very top of the list of the greatest players around. He has writer's credit on each of the songs on the first two Ozzy Osbourne records, both of which are highly acclaimed and widely regarded by fans as being two of the most groundbreaking and monumental metal releases of all time. He died young and we'll never know what he might have gone on to do musically, but the possibilities are absolutely tantalizing. Over-praised? Definitely not.

Because he died way before his time. And in the manner in which he did. But if he is on that list. Clapton, EVH, Mustaine, Vai, Hetfield. The list is virtually endless. Of guitarists that are overpraised and talked about way to much. Its easy especially in rock and metal, to look to the guitarist as the key cog in the band. The lead guitarist if there is two. That person is usually a key songwriter. And in a lot of bands is also the main vocalist. Or the only one. But none of the other instruments in a band should be overlooked. A well put together band, is one where everyone knows his or her role. And whether its on stage in front of 15,000 screaming fans. Or in the studio in Hermosa Beach, its done with the same intensity and focus.

Dying tragically young seems to create that sense of being greater than they actually were at the time of their death. Without any new material, ever, we have nothing to rate someone on, and mourning that fact, we boost someone to legendary status. How you feel about him is similar to how I feel about Stevie Ray Vaughan. No question SRV (as he's referred to by those who think EVERYBODY should know that) was a great guitarist, but there have been and are a lot of great guitarists. I like some blues but I was not a great fan of his style, so naturally I am going to rate him lower on the list of the greats. I was not also a big fan of Quiet Riot and later Black sabbath, so Rhoads is also not very high on my list.

That's me. You are you. The whole thing is subjective anyway, so I tend to avoid arguments When asked, I'll just say who I liked or like. So, I can't say that Rhoads, or anyone, is over-hyped, overpraised, over-loved.

There is too much hype about him because its deserved.

I get the feeling that your opinion is baseless. How many songs have you listened to by him? 2? And are you sure they were songs with him on them?

Because Bark At The Moon was Jake E. Lee. And that live album from 82 was Brad Gillis.

This recent generation is notorious for getting online and giving ignorant and poorly formulated reviews for music they have never even actively listened to.

I'm getting that vibe from you right now...

So when I feel like someone is full of schit I'm going to call someone out.

Source(s): 79

That tends to happen when musicians die young. Look at the ridiculous amount of praise and glory that's heaped on Kurt Cobain, for example.

• Jill

I don't think so mostly because I've never even heard of him before.