How knowledgable can you be if you can’t see your blindspots? Furthermore, how knowledgable can you be if you’re unaware you even have them?

Well, gosh, you can still be extremely knowledgable.

In fact, a blind person can be very intelligent and knowledgable.

No sense in trying to belittle one's intelligence based on the

fact that they can't see their blind spot. It's supposed to be

where the optic nerve connects to the retina. If you slowly

move your finger from your outer peripheral vision into your central vision,

you can sometimes catch it (when you momentarily can't see your finger).

• Lili

It is entirely possible for people to be extremely knowledgeable in various areas and not so knowledgeable in others. Someone can be, say, an expert scientist, very accomplished, but not particularly self-aware on a personal level.

Personal flaws say nothing about professional expertise and knowledge.

• People should not hesitate in formulating a complete model of the universe based on their currently refined feelings and sensing of various qualities. To hesitate is to die.

The model of universe we develop helps us navigate the unknown. And with our experience and reflection we refine feeling and sensing faculties in us.

Everything is a construct but it is not an excuse for meagreness, for ignoring emotions and feelings and sensing as it arises.

If anything is real it is those feelings, sensings, emotings which form in our hearts. More real than the ideas we create. The ideas we create should never rule over the heart.

The words and ideas we create are there only to communicate the real we feel, that we see, hear, taste and smell.

Rationality and intuition go hand in hand. Interacting and reinforcing each other as mutual partners in experience.

• You may not understand why I would place vague feelings above clear ideas. I think it that because I view clear ideas as a kind of trap. We do not have all the clear ideas. We only have a few. And those ideas are like programming for our actions. I believe in a unity of clarity and vagueness.

• P

Philosophers are (or should be) the first to admit that they know very little. Realising the truth in understanding this and adopting this perspective on their thinking is one thing that helps philosophers to find wisdom

"Blind spot" is a physiological metaphor for the retinal relation to the optic nerve; in Godelian-physiological terms, we don't experience a blind spot because our brains postulate what ought be present for the retina-optic nerve area, based on nearby retinal neural information. Thus there obtains an area of t-f retinal positing that is unverifiable in the axiomatic system of light-retinal information processing. This is somewhat analogous to undecidable t-f statements in any relatively complex axiomized system (Godel's Incompleteness Theorems).

For "can't see your blindspots", part of the solution is to move your data-gathering, e.g. a scanning "gaze of focus"; this is analogous to finding "known unknowns" in a chemistry class exam.

The "unawareness" or "ignorance is not bliss" shtick is more transcendental: God (or even the next level on Plato's "line of awareness") is foolishness for those whose data gathering remains in the Platonic Eikasia-Pistis-Dianoia levels, each of which cumulatively under-stands prior steps on its Jacobean ladder of data gathering and interpretation, as well as its present plane or plateau (i.e., with plateaus, one believes one has arrived at the top of the ascent, but a plateau may be a Jaspersian surround, or a Buddhistic conditioning, a matrix of maya that conceals the next level up the mountain--this is Plato's great and enduring insight re steps of awareness).

God may be hidden for such dogmatic atheism, but to prove or know the unknown God as I-Thou is comparatively reserved for the Childlike, the pure in heart, the innocent, and the genuinely loving, rather more than for the Dianoia-wise "scribes." "Test the spirits" or the Noesis-claims is quite reasonable advice, e.g. re known unknowns, and also unknown Unknown-Godness, and respect Godel's proof that all sufficiently-axiomized worldly systems have unconfirmable, unfalsifiable, truth-claims ("dark glasses" are they, with respect to total truthness). The way past such Godelian "I Am the Way"-level claims is not per worldly signs and wonders, aka transecting Energy-miracles, or deus ex machina impossibilities within the system's axioms, but a Von Neumannian second-degree reframing, which may be as "simple" as Christ Jesus requesting John Baptist's formal, confirmatory blessing of Jesus' "Lamb of God" Truth-claim.

Related:

Mount Analogue by Rene Daumal;

A Thousand Plateaus: Capitalism and Schizophrenia by Deleuze and Guattari (nb that their particular perspective treats individualism as a buddhist/marxian condition of sound-image signifying, aka a temporally-useful matrix that conceptualizes within the form of a sound-image surround, aka marxian determinism; hence the Word and Light as Being of God are therefore deconstructed and reduced to +/- functions of surrounds/conditionings; an example of the general rule that a philosophy rises no higher than its source (philospher-as-signifier));

The Path of the Higher Self;

Beams from Meher Baba;

There's Something about Godel by Franscesco Berto.

• peter m

We ought to have a free vote among those here...

Are you "better off" sticking with JUST Religion (so ditching the other stuff) ?

(I think you may agree that there could then be Significant Advantages...(?) )

• You can't see air, or gravity, or the next galaxy over, but somehow someone found them and explored them and understood them (better), and continue to do so. Blindspots just take more work than the obvious, that's all.

This condition is written in the book of Nehemiah, in modern language it can be pure mind control and programming some people are simply covered by the grace of God while others are tortured and tormented for years and still not knowing their sins and transgressions

I think what you are asking about is arrogance and naivete. Those are my answer as to why a person might be like that, other than being mentally challenged in some way.

So having a lack of knowledge is pandemic, we are all ignorant about some things. I might have blind spots I am completely unaware of, but am I going to be arrogant about it? Defensive maybe? Or confident that I will work it out if I care enough about that blind spot to uncover the information I'm missing?

I think if I am defensive about my blind spot, it suggests I have a bloated opinion about myself.

edit: There is some fear involved with that thought. Defensiveness means fear of something. Like a young kid who just found out he doesn't know something everyone else knew.

Source(s): bisexual Christian
    • Hercules5 months agoReport

Some very interesting thoughts! When I see that you’re a Christian, I wonder if you’d simply be willing (without necessarily the further investigation) to consider that your blindspots may actually be what keeps your god belief alive

Trying to hide a god in your blind spot?