Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Social ScienceAnthropology · 6 months ago

Do you think there was ancient humans who could run faster than Usain Bolt?

I read some articles about footprints by aboriginals from Australia giving evidence to a person being able to run faster than Usain Bolt, what do you think?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • JimZ
    Lv 7
    6 months ago
    Best answer

I read about that a few years ago. What it didn't say are the vast vast majority of tracks that weren't left. I suspect that many people back then could probably run with Bolt and probably some would be able to outrun him but they didn't have a track or proper shoes. The people living in Ethiopia 200 thousand years ago were very large and very strong and probably extremely athletic. Many of our ancestors were quite athletic. To suggest that some couldn't outrun someone like Bolt is just speculation. Fossil records indicate some of those guys were amazingly strong. Neanderthals were extraordinarily strong but maybe not that fast but I suspect the longer taller older H. sapiens would have been quite fast by our standards today. I have read a few books about Native Americans recently and there are a few instances where some ran extremely well. One guy could outrun horses over long distances. When your life is centered around getting food, you tend to have a lot of opportunities to exercise.

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

That's BS. Counting a stride over like 2 feet doesn't tell you how fast they were in actuality.

• 6 months ago

This sounds like a myth, I have heard this before - the concept that ancient humans evolved super speed to escape from predators.

In reality if they were being chased by wolves or tigers or whatever they had back then they would have had no chance of escaping.

Evolution takes a long time and if you end up as prey you do not pass on your genes. If humans ran faster isn't it logical that faster predators would have evolved to catch up?

• 6 months ago

Highly unlikely. They had no need for speed so far back in time. There was abundant wildlife everywhere before humans spread out and exterminated most of it. Hunting with sharp sticks would have been very much easier back then, they would have been tripping over their prey everywhere they went. Australia has never had any large predators that would chase down a human. Inspection of ancient bones and skulls shows that the peoples were generally in poor health and the onset of what we would now consider old age occurred much earlier, like mid 30s

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • mac
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

why not..those days where spent running after food,or from being food..of course they couldn run fast..todays humans have cars,bikes,bus,s l sorts of not having to run ....so yes i can easily belive they could run faster than bolt....and for longer peroids of time too..look at the sherpas on mt everest...they dont need spare oxygen to get up the mountain....

• 6 months ago

Highly unlikely.

Aboriginals could,when hunting, run for long distances and long periods at reasonable speeds, most of which we modern peoples could not match, even our ultra-marathoners.

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

depends on WHAT'S chasing them .........................

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

Weren't they much shorter? If so, they probably couldn't. Fast runners have some height.

If any ancient's did, I would guess it would have been Africans who are naturally taller and had to travel further distances for water and such

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.