Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceCredit · 5 months ago

Do you think the credit card company will sue me for owing them $4,000?

I have owed them for over a year and never even made any payments because I can't afford to make monthly payments since I have other bills to pay.. I'm already in collections and have been there for a really long time. They keep calling and calling every single day.. I got a letter in the mail a while back saying they'll take me to court if I don't set up a payment plan with them. Would they sue me for owing them $4,000 and not making a payment for a LONG LONG time?

19 Answers

Relevance
  • Shay
    Lv 7
    5 months ago
    Best answer

It can take between two to three years for a debt to move from collections to an actual court case. During that time, the debt may be accumulating fees. When it becomes a court case, court fees and attorney fees will be added and interest might be allowed. If a payment arrangement can't be reached, then your paycheck might be garnished and the court will decide how much - not you.

Will they actually take you to court - maybe - maybe not. But, if you get a letter that actually has an attorney's name on it, you really need to take care of it BEFORE they add court costs.

• 5 months ago

Yes they will. They have 6 years to take legal action, and if you work, they can try and get an attachement of earnings if they manage to obtain a Court Judgement. It's best to contact them now, and offer a token payment , even if it's only £1 per month. Trust me, they aren't just going to forget about it, they will keep chasing you, and cause you probelms in the future.

• 5 months ago

yes they will sue you.

• 5 months ago

For that amount & never even attempting to pay they will sue you. First they ruin your credit with it being turned over to a collection agency.. Then they sue & get a judgment which is even worse. Then they garnish your wages, bank accounts etc. Why did you charge so much knowing you couldn't pay? That is theft.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    5 months ago

$4,000, it's a reasonable chance they will or a collections company will.

• 5 months ago

Yes, they would.

• Judy
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

Yes, they probably will.

• Eva
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

Yes they would. They will get a formal judgement against you and it will be filed with the county. It will show on your credit report. You won't be able to get a loan for anything until you pay it. You might better work out a payment agreement with them or settle for a lower amount and take the hit for getting a charge off.

• 5 months ago

They can sue you. They may not think its worth it if you have no assets but it'll still destroy your credit for 7 years plus. Anyhow, they will or they won't but if you have no assets and can't pay them back then maybe there is nothing you can do.

• 5 months ago

Unless your work out a payment plan with them, this will haunt your credit history for years, preventing you from getting any kind loan, car loans, home mortgages, or other credit cards. If this is OK with you and you don't mind the collection company continuing to make your life miserable, and maybe suing you, then ignore them.

• James
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

Yes they can - do they want to go through all that trouble is another question

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.