what does : "Its the Economy stupid" really mean? anyone else heard this? when, how coined? by who?

11 Answers

Relevance
  • 5 months ago
    Best answer

It was a phrase coined by James Carville, Bill Clinton's campaign manager in 1992.... as others have said, it was a reminder that a growing number of middle-class Boomer voters couldn't care less about winning the Cold War or Gulf War and cared more about their own wallets...

strange to think that democrats still love to take credit for Clinton, but the only thing they've taken from Carville's advice is the calling other people "stupid" part....

• 5 months ago

Back during Clinton's run for president. A short way to say "hey, we will win if all we do is talk about the economy". Sure, other things are important, but the only really important thing for people at this time is the economy.

Basically, stay on target and you will win. Don't fall for the temptation to get sidetracked even though those other things are important too, they won't get you elected.

• 5 months ago

It's a very well known saying, but wrongly punctuated here. It should be:`

It's the economy, stupid.

• RP
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

That was a slogan attributed to James Carville, an advisor to Bill Clinton, as part of his victorious campaign for his first term as president.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 5 months ago

It means that the economy is voters' main concern, no matter what else the polls may say.

It was James Carville and the Clinton campaign who invented that saying.

• antonius
      Lv 7
      5 months agoReport

Maybe they were first to use the statement during a political campaign or maybe not, but that phrase has been used to refer to many things; ex: it's the money, stupid. It could be used to refer to anything, and was long before Carville used it during Clinton's 1st campaign for president.

• 5 months ago

It was a reminder to Bill Clinton from his campaign managers to stay focused on the economy during the campaign.

• marsel_duchamp
      Lv 7
      5 months agoReport

Too stupid to understand that it was during his first campaign. It takes cultivated ignorance and stupidity to be you.

• 5 months ago

its the economy stupd means that the econmy is the econmy and it also call sthe reader an idiot

• 5 months ago

It came from the Bill Clinton Presidential campaign as a way to keep them focused on the economy and not get sucked into a bunch of unimportant issues.

I thought it was James Carville that came up with it.

• 5 months ago

1) I'm the smartest boy in the room. (Read: I may be a rapist, but I'm a SMART RAPIST!!!)

2) Yes, others have heard it, too.

3) 1991 and 1992; coined by a political marketer.

4) Uttered by a poor Southern boy sold to us as the World's Smartest Man. Hadda HOPE thang goin' on, too, he did, he did. So did his idiot wife. <sigh>

• 5 months ago

It was coined when Bill Clinton was running- by George Stephanopoulos, I think. It was a sign put up in the Clinton campaign headquarters to remind everyone to stay focused on the economy (Bush led us into recession).

• EdWinter
      Lv 7
      5 months agoReport

No, the Evil George H. W. Bush led us into The Worst Recession Since the Great Depression!!!

Let's at least try to remember the exact Democrat catechism of the time.

Of course, it was the mildest recession since the Great Depression, but then who was paying attention, right!?! lol

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.