Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 12 months ago

Can I call 9-1-1 if my boss is underpaying me? He skips on his bills/taxes, is super rude, etc?

• xyzzy

No. 911 is for emergencies only. Being underpaid is not emergency and the police don't care. Contact your local department of labor.

Not if you don't want to be arrested for reporting a non-emergency.

No. You can report to the employment commission for your state or take him to civil court

I really hope you are trolling, but in case you are serious, 911 is for emergencies ONLY!! Such as accidents requiring medical help, life-threatening issues, police assistance or fire. Do NOT waste dozen's of people's time by calling 911 for something stupid. Your time on the phone with an emergency responder could easily mean life or death to someone else.

911 is for emergencies.

What you should do is keep track of all the hours you worked for him. AFTER you leave the job, you take him to small claims court for the difference.

A friend of mine did this. She worked at a gas station and the owner told her she had to work 10-hour shifts because that was the way the business was set up. He wouldn't pay her overtime for the 2 extra hours even though the state says that any work after 8 hrs is time-and-a-half (with some exceptions of course, but not in that case). She just had to agree to these terms to work there.

After she left the job she took him to small claims court and won back her overtime pay. She'd worked there for a year so it was something like $2500.

Sure, and after they are done laughing at you, they may arrest you for misusing 911. If you want to call someone, call the state labor board.

I'd just hire a goon.

• Lôn

No...911 is for emergencies ONLY!

No no no.

9-1-1 is for Emergency stuff only. You know, imminent death, profuse bleeding, etc.

You want to call 9-1-2 for your stuff.

The minimum wage in my city is about $12/hour at the moment, and the state wage in my state is $11/hour. He's still currently only paying me $11/hour