Transmission swap, Aston Martin?

I m not a mechanic, or mechanically minded at all, but for a story I m writing I need to know if it is possible to swap the automatic transmission from an Aston Martin Lagonda (1980s Series 2) for a manual one, and how easy/hard would it be for a character to do? If it is possible, what would be the best donor transmission for the swap. Thanks in advance.

It’s possible, theoretically at least.

The automatic versions Had a 5.3 litre V8 mated to a Chrysler Torqueflite 3-speed “slush-box”. There was a 5-speed manual option available, but it was very rarely ordered.

Any transmission specialist shop could supply a suitably-rated 5-speed and the correct mechanical modifications to replace the automatic.

But it would be near-impossible on a practical

level without extensive additional modifications to the vehicle interior and the instrumentation. Finding original pattern centre consoles and gearshift lever parts will be almost impossible without buying a complete manual Lagonda. Obtaining the correct electronic dashboard displays will be like trying to buy fresh dodo doodoos. Those parts especially were horrifically unreliable even from new and most surviving Lagondas of that type are now undriveable immobile showroom exhibits because of that.

Lose the digital displays and centre console and you destroy the entire point of the car.

'arther' is correct - sell the automatic, buy a manual.

In short, my friend, it is not plug 'n play. It would be a major operation, involving considerable knowledge and skills, not least in sourcing the necessary parts. I'd forget that idea.

You cannot expect to just remove the auto and insert a manual, all the engineering and electronics that justified the enormous price is not something you can just swap, the gear ratios of the transmission are matched to the power bands of the engine, you change that and the result could be bad, most likely the performance will be affected negatively, and I cannot imagine how you could ever sell the car with that kind of modification, the value would halve instantly.

• arther

It would probably work out better to sell the car and buy a manual alot less effort and it wont devalue the car.