Ricky asked in Social SciencePsychology · 6 months ago

Psychologists tell us who is normal and who is not, but would you say that this is a normal society?

I would say this is indeed a normal society

“Normal” for a spiritually barren , hyper-materialistic, corporate profit- driven society. But ‘healthy’... not so much

Correction, slight but important: psychologists don't tell us what is "normal", they tell us what is "healthy" and "unhealthy", in the realm of human mental functions.

Let's take one simple example: addiction. Psychology defines addiction as a malfunction in which you keep on doing a certain behavior even when you know it's harmful for you. There's no moral judgement here, it is considered a "malfunction" because obviously, a well balanced mind, interested in self preservation like all alive creatures are, wouldn't do such a thing. So addiction goes in the "unhealthy" column.

Now, if you take it to the society (=many humans) level: I don't know how much addiction is there in your society; mine is bursting at the seams with it... So addiction, unhealthy as it is, is also "normal" (meaning "common", "mainstream").

Conclusion: we live in a psychologically unhealthy society, whose "bricks" are unhealthy individuals, who give value to things that should not be valued, and despise things that should be essential.

Normal is an ambiguous word - it has two meanings. One is "healthy" and the other is "what most people do". Plus, you might want to specify which society you are asking about. For American society, I'd say not as healthy as it has been.

Psychologists use regularly updated statistics

That respect cultures religious and family units

And known well thought through ideas when

They use the word normal ok?

Thanks

Very Best Wishes

Mars

Source:) General knowledge

No I would say it's not normal.

You have wars and people arguing over a parking space.

Psychologists don’t tell us who is normal. They look at your behaviors and how you react. Trust me haha have you been to a hospital? Nut cases who don’t belong in society make themselves VERY apparent by their behavior most of the time before even seen by a psychiatrist .

Source(s): Trauma Nurse who has been hit, spit at, had shit thrown at and who has been thrown up on. I’ve had patients tell me worms were coming out of their head, that the vents are blowing poison and that the FBI is trying to kill them, I’ve had 10 year old patients who tried to stab their brother and Light their house on fire in the same day. People who sit their silently and laugh to themselves loudly.. trust me we do not live in a Normal Society, but the not so normal make themselves clear.

We've got what we've got. In a war zone or hospice it's not my place to tell you what is normal. The goals differ between situations. I can help you live a good life in war, I can try my best to help you live an ok enough 3 more weeks in hospice. The job of the social servant at any level is to reduce harm. I can't fix you but what I can do is try to give you the tools to live a functional and least harmful life.

If you want a candid opinion, yes, this whole world is a giant mess. The hardest truth we are working our way away from is that segregation caused an ideal world. Think about someone you have nothing in common with and now you are forced to spend your whole life with them. Nothing but pain and stress will ensue. Not only race relations are being implicated, all kinds of tiny factors. "The good old days" were when white veterans lived in one area and poor immigrants lived in another. This was a world where you only knew people just like you, under 18 or over 40, or otherwise 20-40 or 65+ years old.

We've locked 7billion people who hate each other in a room to see what happens. And we have seen what happens. Don't get me wrong and take this as a racist rant. Before you try that, think about the fact you just categorized me and hated me for it, proving me right.

Normal? Perhaps. Mentally healthy? Definitely not.

The only way to answer such a question is to be able to compare it to a "normal society". Do you have one available? The point is, this is a "non-question".

Added:

I'm quite willing to admit that I CANNOT DEFINE NORMAL. I can only speak of ranges of behavior that are acceptable to society, whereas "normal" somehow implies some definite easily identifiable pattern of behavior. All too many perspectives/questions contain HUGE assumptions about what can and what cannot be defined.

• Plogsties

The point is who, or what organization, using what criteria, will decide this "OTHER PERSON" IS NORMAL? You STILL need to DEFINE what "normal is" - and this can't be done.