Will a light bulb explod and shatter if I put petrol in it?

I have fire extinguisher at the ready and all stuff out of my belongings out of my garage I have put a tiny bit in its just hanging below the filament in the glass first of all I have turned off the fuse box while Installed the bulb in the screw the switch in garage is off will that ignite once I turn on the fuse box I have camera at the ready aswell I know I am being stupid butblike to test things

9 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    5 months ago
    Best answer

There isn't any oxygen in a light bulb.....so nothing should happen, but there probably will be oxygen in the bulb if you somehow put petrol inside it.

If the petrol has ready O2, yes it will ignite and the bulb will probably shatter. Not explode possibly, but it isn't ideal to do indoors, the fuel will get everywhere whilst combusting.

• james
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

You need add electric to it. To make it explode.

• 5 months ago

I hope you're wearing safety goggles. It would be no joke getting shards of burning glass in your eyes at high velocity. Just saying.

• 5 months ago

Yeah, don't be stupid. I did this when I was ten.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    5 months ago

Well Mr. Bond, it depends on whether the light bulb is a hot one.

• 5 months ago

you'll soon know. do you have the fire department on speed dial? or better yet, do you live directly across the street from the [fire] engine company?

Source(s): granddad
  • Jerry
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

This has been tried and the results posted on youtube.(search youtube) In most cases Nothing exciting happened. Don t put too much gasoline in the bulb it is the fumes from the gas that will ignite then explode.

• audrey
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

Let us know what your insurance company has to say after your garage burns down.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.