Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthOptical · 6 months ago

Don't you hate wearing thick and heavy glasses all day every day?

Hello, I wear probably close to -12.5 to - 13 glasses and it's taking it's toll on my nose and face. I use to wear contacts but will never wear them again due some freak accident that I had when I was younger. I guess there isn't much I can do besides get cataract surgery and I'm in my mid 30's. Literally my glasses are like my crutches to see for without them I'd be blind as a bat. I'd take off my glasses throughout the day to rest my eyes and nose from the heaviness.

Update:

Sandy, I do in fact have cataracts as my optometrist and ophthalmologist have examed my eyes.

Update 2:

While that maybe true I didn't technically say I had cataracts but come on, when I say besides cataract surgery than you can safety imply that I'm saying I have cataracts.

Update 3:

Thanks David E! You're right I don't necessarily object to worrying glasses just not thick and heavy ones. No I wouldn't quality for clear lens exchange. Apparently, some opthalmologist and insurance think that since I'm young and can still see with glasses than I won't qualify for surgery so if I wanted to get surgery than I would have to pay out of my pocket for everything. I wouldn't mind worrying bifocals/progressives.

Update 4:

David E, of course I wouldn't tell the opthalmologist and insurance company that, I would tell them that it affects my daily life, mainly with glare, difficult time seeing even with glasses, etc. How would they prove otherwise?

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 6 months ago

Even if you didn't have cataracts, clear lens exchange would be the best way for you to eliminate your need for such a strong prescription. Since you do have cataracts, there is a good chance that you can get your insurance to pay for it. The downside with a standard lens is that you won't be able to focus from distance to near. That means that you will need to wear readers or some type of bifocal. It sounds like your objection is more to the power in your glasses than glasses themselves so that might be a great move.

• David E
      Lv 7
      6 months agoReport

If glare has gotten a lot worse and they see significant cataracts in your eyes, they may be able to do glare testing and get you approved for surgery.https://www.eyeworld.org/article-glare-testing

• Sandy
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

You don't get cataract surgery unless you actually have cataracts. It sounds like you have a high degree of myopia. That's not the same as having cataracts.

• Sandy
      Lv 7
      6 months agoReport

You didn't say you had cataracts. If you do, then you can get cataract surgery, even in your mid 30's

• Bernd
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

I wear mine all day but my Rx is not as strong as yours. I have the perspective that until age 20 I did not know I needed glasses. Glasses gave me corrected vision at age 20, for the first time in my life. I respect them.

• 6 months ago

YUP all galsses i am glad i only need them for reading

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.