asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 6 months ago

what does it mean if someone says "I am not trying to gauge you"?

rip you off? what "gauging " someone refers to? like sticking a fork in their belly? other?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • A.J.
    Lv 7
    6 months ago
    Favorite Answer

It is more literal than idiom. Gauge, as a verb, means "estimate or determine the magnitude, amount, or volume of" Such as an example, "Astronomers can gauge the star's intrinsic brightness"

It is not "gouge" as in puncturing or ripping off.

Gauge in the sentence is measure, assess, test

and verbally may be "judge", because it is similar.

• RP
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

It means understand or figure out another person or her/his behavior or actions. A good synonym in this context would be assess or evaluate.

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

It could also be a typo for 'gouge', meaning to overcharge someone for something.

• 6 months ago

I suppose one could think of it as being like sticking a fork into a belly if you are using a cooking metaphor (stick a fork in it to see if it is done). Gauge means to judge, to measure, to evaluate. Quantify in some way. Get a measure of your value according to some criterion (some aspect: are you smart, are you mean, are you happy? and how does that matter to the gauger, what does he think about you from that measurement).

He is saying he isn't passing judgement on you here. That is not his purpose.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    6 months ago

.. . and thank you for spelling it correctly. It's the word that 75 percent of all (native) English speakers spell wrong...

• 6 months ago

gauging someone is to measure them. So that would mean they weren't going measure you against something or some one else.

https://www.google.com/search?source=hp&ei=A5gFXZy...

I think the word you are seeking is gouge.

https://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en...

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.