Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 6 months ago

Declared incompetent?

If someone is declared incompetent and needs care who will pay for that?

Does it come from the person's estate?

For example if a son has his father declared incompetent and the estate is valued at $400,000 would any care needed for that person come from the estate?

4 Answers

    Lv 7
    6 months ago

    Oh yes, all the estate would go to paying for their care.

  • 6 months ago

    All of it would come from the estate. If he didn't own much and needed continued care, then he'd get whatever care the street could offer, which wouldn't be much.

  • 6 months ago

    Yes, the father's money pays for the father's care. It isn't an estate yet, the person is alive.

  • Foofa
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

    Depends on factors not mentioned. People of a certain age might be eligible for non-means tested benefits like Social Security. Younger people might qualify for SSDI. You'll always get better care if you can pay for it directly, but in many cases there is taxpayer funded help available.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.