Usury is forbidden in Islam, Judaism and Christianity so why is it legal at all? (Usury being compounded interest which is evil!)?

• BMCR

To be precise, in Judaism a Jew cannot charge with interest to another Jew. There is no distinction on whether it is compounded or not.

Regarding legalities, in the country I live in and most other countries of Yahoo Answers participants, there is what we call a democracy, which, by nature, is secular.

• Bill

what makes it evil

is that your thinking or legal thinking

is it your religious teachers thinking

maybe you should get an education before talking rubbish

• Cowboy

Capitalism LOVES it, and so we got it.

Charging interest is not forbidden in Judaism or Christianity. There are stipulations, but it is not illegal. Jesus Christ even said usury would've been better than hiding the gift completely in the following Scripture.

Luke 19:12 KJV He said therefore, A certain nobleman went into a far country to receive for himself a kingdom, and to return. 13 And he called his ten servants, and delivered them ten pounds, and said unto them, Occupy till I come. 14 But his citizens hated him, and sent a message after him, saying, We will not have this [man] to reign over us. 15 And it came to pass, that when he was returned, having received the kingdom, then he commanded these servants to be called unto him, to whom he had given the money, that he might know how much every man had gained by trading. 16 Then came the first, saying, Lord, thy pound hath gained ten pounds. 17 And he said unto him, Well, thou good servant: because thou hast been faithful in a very little, have thou authority over ten cities. 18 And the second came, saying, Lord, thy pound hath gained five pounds. 19 And he said likewise to him, Be thou also over five cities. 20 And another came, saying, Lord, behold, [here is] thy pound, which I have kept laid up in a napkin: 21 For I feared thee, because thou art an austere man: thou takest up that thou layedst not down, and reapest that thou didst not sow. 22 And he saith unto him, Out of thine own mouth will I judge thee, [thou] wicked servant. Thou knewest that I was an austere man, taking up that I laid not down, and reaping that I did not sow: 23 Wherefore then gavest not thou my money into the bank, that at my coming I might have required mine own with usury? 24 And he said unto them that stood by, Take from him the pound, and give [it] to him that hath ten pounds. 25 (And they said unto him, Lord, he hath ten pounds.) 26 For I say unto you, That unto every one which hath shall be given; and from him that hath not, even that he hath shall be taken away from him. 27 But those mine enemies, which would not that I should reign over them, bring hither, and slay [them] before me.

Usury is forbidden only in Islam. The Bible speaks of it as a means of helping others, and being paid for doing so. Compounded interest is normal, and usually legal as long as it is within legal limits.

• Everard

It used to be illegal
      It's why y'all handed the banking industry to the Jews
      And then got pissed off that some got rich.
      ~

atheist trolling ********************** ******************************* **************************

I would say it's because only a small fraction of the world is theocracy.

Legal where?

I can only speak for the United States.

Usury is illegal here, but they define it narrowly. So credit cards are exempt from usury laws. And there are other exceptions too.

But remember, the USA is not a "Christian nation" per se. Yes, many of our laws are based on biblical laws, such as Thou Shalt Not Murder, and Thou Shalt not Steal, etc. But that is only because of the culture of our founders. And we still maintain a similar Christian culture today.

My point is that the USA has not declared any national religion as the correct religion. Instead, we have Freedom of Religion here, so you get to decide.

You say usury is forbidden in Islam? I have never heard of that nation. There are several nations that are populated by mostly Muslims. I know nothing of their laws. Except, they seems to like Sharia law.

-

"Usury being compounded interest"

Is it? The first definition I get is, "the action or practice of lending money at unreasonably high rates of interest", which is not the same thing.

The problem is that lending money with interest (and, depending on the circumstances, compound interest), is the only sensible business model. I think that Muslim banks officially do not charge interest, but charge a 'fee', which is proportional to the loan (and therefore amounts to the same thing). It appears that God really isn't a very good economist.

Bible says nothing about usury, moron. Old Testament mentions that interest charged to poor people is wrong. Usury is not compounded interest, either.

• 6 months agoReport

That and the bogus KJV translation in Exodus 22.