How can an Inmate make a phone call in jail?

• Clive

In what country or state? They're all different.

As you forgot to give this vital information, I shall answer for England because it's what I know. We don't have jails, only prisons. And prisons have payphones, which prisoners can buy phone time on using the weekly canteen order form. They also vary in how long calls can be. Some prisons limit the length of calls, while others don't - fortunately when I was "inside", it was one that didn't, so I was able to make a long call home every Sunday morning using the money they sent me.

Who you can call is restricted so prisoners don't annoy victims of their crimes. That varies between prisons too but most normally, you have to ask permission first, the prison will call that number and ask if they are willing to accept calls from you, if whoever answers says yes, then that goes on your phone list and you can call them.

There's a special area where phones are .Some have to pay , some don't .

• Bruce

That can vary, depending on the jail. The phones in my area are available to inmates at anytime between 6am and 10pm. They are shut off during quiet hours of 10-6

The two most common ways are to call collect or to purchase a pre-paid calling card.

• Lv 5

In my state's ADC's, there is no actual card; you just have to have money on your books (put on from outside using Westen Union) and buy time, weekly, at store,

It depends on the state/ country. Most jails or prisons would have these facilities for making phone calls. You can pay to use the telephone box, it depends on what privileges you get/ you can get that privilege removed from you.

Some prisons allow inmates to make COLLECT phone calls WHILE being monitored!

you need to ask the people that work there this question

• Lv 5

Only 5 or 6 answers come CLOSE to a mere Iota of fact; including Pearl's.

they get phone privileges, they call collect

Go to the phone.

Umm...let's see...and let's count all of the ways, shall we:

1) Use a phone that she's authorized to use;

2) Use a phone that she's unauthorized to use; and,

Umm...let's see...have I missed an opportunity for a prison inmate to use a phone?

Please share!

• .

call collect from phone in the common area when he is allowed to be there