Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 5 months ago

Is my stepmom being ridiculous?

Three years ago, when I started college (I'm a commuter), my stepmom gave me the chore of doing the towel laundry. When she gave me this chore, she said it was because I had two days a week where I had no classes or labs. I was fine. I never complained. Yet, somehow, every summer, when I'm working 40+ hours a week, I am still expected to do all of the towels. Not only that, I have restrictions. For instance, I'm only supposed to do five towels and 3 wash cloths (I actually put a lot more wash cloths in there if I know that they won't be home to check). I also have to have them done before my stepmom gets home otherwise she complains if I'm doing laundry when she needs to do some. I also cannot leave them in the washer during the day because she claims that it leaves a smell. So, I usually start one load before I go to work and then put it in the dryer before I leave. This has always been my routine, but this week was different because on Wednesday, she was home from work all day so I couldn't start them because they would be left in the dryer and then she'd complain that she had to finish them. I also don't do them on thursday because I go visit my grandparents once a week and that's the night I usually go. As I took a shower last night, I realized that we had two wash cloths left. That was enough for both her and my dad to take a shower so I knew that it would be fine until I got to it today. Continued in comments...

Update:

Continued: Well, I was wrong because today she decided to take TWO showers. I had to take her somewhere and she yelled at me the whole way because she had to use a dirty washcloth because there were none upstairs. Mind you, the towels and washcloths were in the dryer so she just had to grab one out of there when she checked to see what was in there when she got home. They were plenty dry at that point. Am I wrong for thinking that I shouldn't have to do all of the towels when I also work?

Update 2:

Continued part 2: But am I also wrong for thinking that I shouldn't have to do all of the towels when she is using at least two a day? She didn't use to take two showers a day. This is fairly recent and she doesn't plan on changing. She also occasionally uses three when she washes her hair separately. I don't mind doing towels. I just mind it when I have to deal with all of her rules and when I have to do more loads because she's using so many.

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Foofa
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

I work 80+ hours a week and still manage to do three loads of laundry during any given five day period. Unless you're taking summer school and have a ton of studying to do there's no reason why you couldn't still live up to your end of the bargain. Real life is about missing fun, missing social media time and missing sleep to live up to your domestic responsibilities. So use this time to learn what "adulting" is like.

• Pearl
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

rnaybe you should rnove out

• Anna E
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

Not at all. If you stay there during the summer, you need to be doing chores. If all she expects is for you to wash the towels, you are lucky. She works and probably does a lot more such as clean, cook, dishes, her and your fathers laundry etc. And if you leave wet laundry in the washer, it can mildew and smell bad.

• Shelby5 months agoReport

That's not all I do. I mow the yard in the summer and do all of the leaves in the fall. I also cook for myself and do my own dishes. I also do their dishes 90%of the time as well. I also take the trash out and it's my job to put it on the curb on Friday. I do my fair share.

• Anonymous
    5 months ago

Want to be treated like an adult? Then MOVE OUT and behave like an adult.

Yes, you are wrong, sweetie. Stop thinking you are Cinderella.

Unhappy? MOVE OUT.

You could always tell your father that your stepmother is mistreating you. Ask Dad if you can have more than 4 washcloths in the house (apparently one for each of you). Perhaps you could open a Go Fund Me to buy more towels and washcloths.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    5 months ago

Quit mooching and do your share, you will live

• Shelby5 months agoReport

I do my fair share around the house. I'm not mooching. I pay for my phone. I pay for my own groceries. I cook my own food. I do my own laundry. I got a full ride to my college. Living with them is the deal my dad offered since I worked hard enough that he didn't have to pay for my school.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.