21 year old man with too many regrets in life?

I'm a 21 year old man who has just finished his first year at uni. Im currently very insecure as I feel I didn't make the most of life when I was younger. What's particularly hard for me is seeing people younger than me doing better. I admit I didn't work very hard when I was younger and wasn't... show more I'm a 21 year old man who has just finished his first year at uni.
Im currently very insecure as I feel I didn't make the most of life when I was younger. What's particularly hard for me is seeing people younger than me doing better. I admit I didn't work very hard when I was younger and wasn't passionate about education as much as I am now, and I deeply regret this.
I lived quite a sheltered life when growing up, so I always struggled with seeing my peers having more freedom. What's hard now is i still feel sheltered at home and I'm seeing people who had sheltered childhoods being more successful and having more freedom than me now.
As a result, I'm now very insecure and always trying to compete with my friends over silly stuff. I also feel a lot of regret about my childhood, and resentment towards my family. I want to try and use uni as a turning point, but am finding it hard that people younger than me are doing better and I feel it's too late in life as what I'm doing "is normal".