Would my Step mom still be considered my Step mom if her and my Dad got a divorce?

My Dad and Step mom are possibly going to get a divorce and we are dealing with a very difficult situation. Any stupid answers will get ignored. Thanks.

14 Answers

Relevance
  • 6 months ago

No. If they divorce she is no longer "acting" as your mom when you're with him.

• Foofa
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

Being a stepparent doesn't come with any specific legal rights or responsibilities so even in the case of a divorce she could continue to be an influence in your life if you and she both want to maintain the relationship. She wouldn't technically be more stepmother anymore, but could still be someone very special and involved.

• PAMELA
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

Once they divorce then she is no longer your step mother, that was only while they were together.

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

No. LEGALLY she would be your former stepmother.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Lita
    Lv 6
    6 months ago

No, if they divorced she would no longer be your stepmother. She would be nothing to you legally but that doesn't mean you cannot still care about her or that she'll no longer care about you.

• 6 months ago

She may still be considered your step mom but legally would have to say over your life. It becomes more of an unofficial title with no meaning but some people would still say she was your step mother.

• 6 months ago

If she legally adopted you, I believe she would. But if not, no. But if you still care for her as a mother figure, talk to her about her staying in your life.

• 6 months ago

No, but you can continue to claim her if you wish.

• CB
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

NO she would not, the divorce would dissolve the marriage contract so there is no longer a relationship (by marriage) between you and your stepmom. If your dad passed away the above statement would also be true.

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

At that point she would no longer be Step Mom to you. But how you would want to call her would depend on how close of a relationship you have with her now. If a good relationship, you may still want her to be considered a Step Mom or Mom but if you don't like her or get along then she would be nothing to you.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.