Would my Step mom still be considered my Step mom if her and my Dad got a divorce?

My Dad and Step mom are possibly going to get a divorce and we are dealing with a very difficult situation. Any stupid answers will get ignored. Thanks.

No. If they divorce she is no longer "acting" as your mom when you're with him.

Being a stepparent doesn't come with any specific legal rights or responsibilities so even in the case of a divorce she could continue to be an influence in your life if you and she both want to maintain the relationship. She wouldn't technically be more stepmother anymore, but could still be someone very special and involved.

• PAMELA

Once they divorce then she is no longer your step mother, that was only while they were together.

No. LEGALLY she would be your former stepmother.

• Lita

No, if they divorced she would no longer be your stepmother. She would be nothing to you legally but that doesn't mean you cannot still care about her or that she'll no longer care about you.

She may still be considered your step mom but legally would have to say over your life. It becomes more of an unofficial title with no meaning but some people would still say she was your step mother.

If she legally adopted you, I believe she would. But if not, no. But if you still care for her as a mother figure, talk to her about her staying in your life.

No, but you can continue to claim her if you wish.

• CB

NO she would not, the divorce would dissolve the marriage contract so there is no longer a relationship (by marriage) between you and your stepmom. If your dad passed away the above statement would also be true.

At that point she would no longer be Step Mom to you. But how you would want to call her would depend on how close of a relationship you have with her now. If a good relationship, you may still want her to be considered a Step Mom or Mom but if you don't like her or get along then she would be nothing to you.