Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceCredit · 6 months ago

Applying for credit card?

Even though I’m a grown adult I don’t have a credit card. Don’t want one, don’t want any extra debt other than car & mortgage. One of my kids needs braces and they want a lot up front that I can’t just take from my checking account. I’m having to apply for a CC. This is going to be just mine so on one application I put down just my info, my income. I’m a teacher and don’t make a lot so I was denied. On my next application should I try again with just my income or put down our combined income (husband too)?

i would ask the credit card cornpany how to go about doing that

Credit cards are not solely about debt. They are a financial management tool. They provide purchase protection that debit cards and cash do not.

The lowest paid average teacher salary is in Mississippi and that is $46000. PLENTY of income to qualify for a credit card.

Are you in a community property state? If so, you should be on all your husband's cards and he should be on yours.

If not, then you need to decide what to do. 4

Maybe it makes sense for your husband to pay, sells some items, or do temp work during the summer to cover the cost.

It doesn't matter; your income isn't why you were denied.

Most credit cards automatically deny anyone who has never had a credit card and is applying for their first credit card. They only approve someone who already has a credit card (or had one in the past) and is applying for another one.

You applied for one of those cards, so you were denied.

If you apply for one of the few cards that a person who has never had a credit card can get for their first credit card, then you can be approved even with a teacher's income.

• Never

What is your credit score? Adding your husband might help....higher income. But still no guarantee depending on your other debt.

It might be your car payment and mortgage combined is too high versus your income. Adding your husband might help.

• DEBS

If you put both of you down, then you should include both your incomes.

The bigger issue is that you're looking to pay for braces through a credit card. They are high interest unless you get an intro deal and pay it off on time. Have you looked at using equity in your home to pay for it?

• audrey

IDK where you're located, but doesn't your dentist offer "Care Credit"? Most medical and dental offices have it here in NC. Google it.

Since you alone were denied, its likely that you will need to try something new ie add your husband if he has decent income and credit. Possibly you would get accepted the next time but its really unlikely.