Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelCaribbeanDominican Republic · 5 months ago

Are tourists being murdered or beaten up in the Dominican republic for a certain reason or are they being dead out of natural causes?

That's really weird what's happening there, I don't understand why tourists (who bring in so much money to help their economy) would be targeted. It's almost like a store owner attacking a customer for no reason.

@Lili, well, according to the lady that was attacked, apparently it was done by an employee that works there, she saw the worker's shirt.

• james

Normally any were in the world you can be harmed or found dead if you ask the wrong questions or seek the wrong things in the wrong place. But this does not look like the case here. Police are good at covering up crimes about tourist who ask about preteen girls & boys or drugs & such. That was my first thought. This seems like a poison reaction. I see that in S.E. Asia. They spray with more than 1 type of spray a mix for insects that were not to be mixed. Some people have a reaction to such. I see that happen to a few of the back pack crews that visit. But normally a few days in the hospital it is wrote of as flew or bad water or such. Who stay in the cheaper hostels. But this is more high end. So maybe bootleg Rum. I to wonder. I also wonder what they drink? Some drinks mixed you can not tell the good stuff from the bad stuff.

• In

As I posted on another question on the same topic:

"Of the 10 Americans who have died in the Dominican Republic over the last year, six have reportedly died of heart-related conditions, including one whose family said they do not view the death as suspicious. (Cardiovascular problems account for nearly half of all American tourist deaths abroad, according to the Centers for Disease Control.)

Three others, including the Maryland couple, were reported to have had respiratory issues, and one man’s family said he fell ill and died after drinking whisky from a hotel minibar, although Dominican authorities say his death was caused by septic shock, multiple organ failure and pneumonia."

• Jahal

I don't think it matters why, it matters that these crimes are occurring, and that DR officials are covering up and denying. One victim's relatives said they were pressured to cremate the body of their loved one.

There are too many suspicious deaths lately. The couple whose car supposedly plunged into the ocean while on the way to the airport. The high school kids who died ( can't blame that on a heart condition)

In a country where the officials are more beholden to drug lords than the rule of law, it's definitely not safe to visit.

• Mr. P

I had a friend who went there on holiday 10 years ago. Day 1 - bus was hijacked and everyone robbed. Not much to do after that.

They have been dying after reportedly consuming stuff from their hotel room's minibar - most likely the people (making $0.85/day) who deliver the alcohol to the hotel/rooms are stealing it, and replacing it with poisonous cheap alcohol. What I don't understand is why in the hell people want to go to DR anyhow?

• Lili

It's quite lovely there, and they have attractive resorts. Why does anyone want to go on a Caribbean island vacation anywhere? They aren't some poverty-stricken hellhole. They have a fast-growing economy and are the most visited destination in the Caribbean. You don't know much about it.

Visiting that country is a very stupid thing to do. Have these people no sense of self-preservation?

There are plenty of less dangerous and poverty-stricken places to visit.

Source(s): Highly incisive, very aware and very intensely strong-minded and pragmatic logician and tactician, very high-grade threat detector, nurturer of life-saving mental enhancement and developer of superior methods of societal organisation. Vehement advocate of human advancement, invulnerability and continuity / realisation of desirable and/or protective human, societal and global attributes (will viciously oppose any person or entity threatening these, without exception).
    • Rogue

Also, people stupid enough to leave their rooms late at night on their own, have been robbed, or worse badly beaten. This can happen in any city of the world with that many people.

All it takes is one gang that doesn't like tourists.

• Snid

Each individual case is being separately investigated. So far, it looks like none of the deaths are from natural causes. It's probably a lot of coincidence. I think several of them are related to pest control used at the resorts. It's really frightening.

• Lili

There was only one actual attack, and the victim did not die. The cause of death in the other cases is still uncertain, but it doesn't appear to be "murder," which is deliberate killing. Of course the DR wouldn't want tourists to be murdered.

The latest theory I've heard is tainted liquor. This has shown up in Mexico, too, and was responsible for some deaths there. However, no definitive answer has been found.

Edit: Yes, I know that, but Dominicans in general aren't going to be trying to damage the tourist trade. We get a lot of tourists in the US, and occasionally, one of them has been killed. The motive has not been to discourage tourism. It's usually been something like rape or robbery.

The current theory is that they are being poisoned by bootleg liquor. LOL