Does the more horsepower a car has mean that it can accelerate fast?

I have a 2018 Maxima and my friend a 2017 Charger SXT. Both are V6's mine on paper has 300 HP using a CVT which means it can make it very slow while my friend has Chrysler's V6 pentastar engine. My 0-60 came up in 6.1 seconds while his in 5.5 seconds. We both had nothing in the car and our gas tanks were... show more I have a 2018 Maxima and my friend a 2017 Charger SXT. Both are V6's mine on paper has 300 HP using a CVT which means it can make it very slow while my friend has Chrysler's V6 pentastar engine.

My 0-60 came up in 6.1 seconds while his in 5.5 seconds. We both had nothing in the car and our gas tanks were 1/4. Was it the weight of it?

We were drag racing ours a few months ago and my friend in his 4 Cylinder turbo charged Si beat my friends naturally aspirated 9 speed V6 pentastar engine.