Does the more horsepower a car has mean that it can accelerate fast?

I have a 2018 Maxima and my friend a 2017 Charger SXT. Both are V6's mine on paper has 300 HP using a CVT which means it can make it very slow while my friend has Chrysler's V6 pentastar engine.

My 0-60 came up in 6.1 seconds while his in 5.5 seconds. We both had nothing in the car and our gas tanks were 1/4. Was it the weight of it?

We were drag racing ours a few months ago and my friend in his 4 Cylinder turbo charged Si beat my friends naturally aspirated 9 speed V6 pentastar engine.

7 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    6 months ago
    Best answer

Weight to horsepower ratio is part of it, but there are many other factors including the torque profile, drive axle gear ratio, tire pressure and coefficient of friction of the tires, and many other things.

• zipper
    Lv 6
    6 months ago

Horse power has a lot to do with it, also vehicle weight has a lot to do with it as well.

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

Lol between half second difference feels absolutely nothing

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

Wow Lmfao who buys a nissan maxima thinking about how fast it will go. It is a family sedan not a sports car.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Phil M
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

It's all about how much power there is compared to weight and rolling resistance.

• 6 months ago

Everything is a factor. Engine size, power, tires, suspension, weight, transmission, driver ability and anything else one can think of.

• Jake
      Lv 7
      6 months agoReport

you are so right. I would think its just the Engine

• L.N.
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

Acceleration comes from torque. Torque is the twisting force of the engine that overcomes inertia. Horsepower is an expression of torque and RPM's written as (RPM*Torque)/5250, so it can be seen as an expression of torque over time. Horsepower has more effect on your top speed than your acceleration.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.