Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinancePersonal Finance · 6 months ago

How does social security take money back after someone dies?

I know social security takes back the recipients monthly payment for the month they pass away. How do they take it back? Is it electronically withdrawn back from the bank account?

Most people live so tight there isn't much left after bills. What if there isn't enough there to take it back? Will they just take what's left and call it good? Not take it at all? Or try to come after deceased assets to satisfy them?

Anybody have any experience with this? Thank you

8 Answers

Relevance
  • GEEGEE
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

My mother died on the 17th of April in 2017. She died in a medical facility. Within 48 hours SS had pulled back funds from her checking account. Don't remember if they took back the full monthly amount, and I don't remember when her deposit hit the bank each month.

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

Hi I live in Social Security I'm an American

• 6 months ago

probably come after the estate

• B
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

probably come after the estate

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Judith
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

If someone dies in June then the benefit received in June doesn't have to be returned because the June benefit is payment for the month of May. Social Security pays a month behind. A person must be alive the entire month in order for a benefit to be paid for that month.

Social Security is supposed to be notified of a death immediately so if a person dies in June and it is reported then there is usually no problem since the benefit won't be released in July. However, if a benefit truly isn't due then the bank usually returns it if direct deposit is involved - assuming the bank was notified of the death as they should have been. If direct deposit isn't involved and a paper check is sent out then whoever is taking care of the mail of the deceased must return it to the nearest SS office.

If there is an overpayment and someone cashed the benefit which wouldn't otherwise be due, SS will find out who used the SS benefits (easily done) and will get the money from them.

Source(s): I was a SS claims rep for 32 yrs.
  • 6 months ago

I dealt with Railroad Retirement when my father passed away. He died on 2/15 so we had to send back his 2/1 deposit.

They said that I had two options:

1) I could tell our bank to send back by rejecting the deposit. I actually called the bank and they had no idea how to do that.

2) After a few weeks the RRB would pull the money back. That is what ended up happening as the bank would not cooperate with me.

I don't know what happens if you you spend the money as I just left the money alone. My guess is that you would get a bill for whatever wasn't paid back.

• 6 months ago

It can take a while for a person’s Death to be reported and noted by SSA so an extra payment or two could be made. As long as the death is reported timely, it is not considered the fault of the beneficiary or heirs. Also, if there is no estate to make repayment, the SSA does not pursue it. Though if the surviving spouse filed for benefits based on the deceased’s earnings they may recoup some or all from what they would get.

• 6 months ago

It's deposited monthly so there's no money to take back.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.