Is religion something that divides or unites us?

I am making a poster for History and I decided to choose this question as the main question. please answer in simple words

Personally I think it divides. Religion is the worship of a mythical being like God, Buddha, Shiva and so on. Each religion thinks that theirs is the correct one and all others are wrong. Religion has caused more wars and deaths over the centuries than anything else. Most religions follow a book of instruction like a bible, torah, Talmud and so on in which the rules of their particular religion are set out. Even Christianity is divided with Catholics, Protestants, Methodists and so many more divisions, each of which has their own set of rules.

• Precisely

Well, if you blame religion for the delay in eradicating smallpox, malaria....

yes it is that something (15)

• geezer

On the whole Religion appears to divide people.

You only have to look at at Catholic/Protestant history ,.. and they worship the same God !!

It's not a simple question, and it can't be answer simply. Throughout history, there have been wars fought over religion. The people who share a religion are united in fighting the people who don't share their religion.

I think it can be both. I disagree with B, there are millions (if not billions) of religious people who don't view their religion that way. They go out and help people, provide food and shelter for the needy even though they may not be religious or part of their religion.

But yes, there are extremists that can divide people, but this is true in every realm such as politics, social class, etc.

Religion divides people. If you aren’t part of someone’s religion you’re immediately an outcast and sent to their “ hell” in their eyes.

• Precisely

In summary, then, shared belief unites, but rejection of belief divides.