What is present tense I hate you ....or I am hating you?

• Lee

''hate'' is in present tense.

''am hating'' is the 'be' verb + present participle 'hating', giving you the progressive aspect.

Source(s): I'm a linguist.

Present tense: I hate you

In American English, it's 'I hate...' Native speakers of Indian languages have difficulty with the use of gerunds and will say, 'I am hating...'

• RP

I hate you is present tense. Variations include I am hating you and I do hate you.

Both are. they give different ideas of continuity through time. I am hating you means I feel hatred toward you at this point in time, but maybe not a while ago and maybe not in ten minutes from now. I hate you implies a permanent condition. There is no foreseeable end to it. It is true at this very moment and will likely stay true for quite some time into the future, and also likely existed for some unclear time into the paste.

General condition (I hate) versus specific condition (I am hating).

They are both Present tense. 'I hate you' is Present simple, and 'I am hating you' is Present progressive/continuous.

As a general rule we tend not to use the verbs of emotion in Progressive - eg 'I love you' rather than 'I'm loving you' - but it's not impossible, especially if we want to stress the temporary OR immediate nature of the feeling.

I hate you would be present tense.

The simple present "I hate" means that these are always your feelings.

The progressive , "I am hating" means that this is the 'right now' feeling, but it is temporary.

both are present, hating is present participle