Would you rather be called "Black" or "African American"?

9 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    5 months ago

Not all Blacks have African roots. Some come the South Pacific. Some from India. Why does color have to be mentioned?

• 5 months ago

African american is a nice politially correct term for some people, but some time ago a black englishman was interviewed by Oprah Winfrey on his show. She referred to him as african american, but he pointed out that he was not american, but english.

Black people in other countries are not called african anything. In the caribbean, people are just desribed as light, dark, redbone or whatever shade of skin is.

Americans though, because of government forms and classifcations, are more interested in putting themselves into racial boxes than most countries.

• Anonymous
    5 months ago

I would rather be called by my name.

• Anonymous
    5 months ago

either one is okay

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    5 months ago

I'm fine with both because they mean two different things to me.

I'm black and I'm also African American.

• Anonymous
    5 months ago

Whilst it is true that all African-Americans are black, not all black people are African-American and so this question should have been directed at African-Americans specifically as it can only be answered by them.

Personally I prefer African.

• Anonymous
    5 months ago

It doesn't matter what you call us. I'm just going to complain about it and blame white people for all my failures.

• Anonymous
    5 months ago

I am unsure why I need to be called any of them.

• Anonymous
    5 months ago

Nėîthėr would equally apply to me as I'v

nevr been called eithr during my lif I would

like to be known as my 1st & last namė ťhôugh.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.