gabbietiger asked in PetsDogs · 6 months ago

How do I get my puppy to stop chewing on shoes? I’ve tried everything and he won’t stop!!!?

I’m 14 years old and have had 6 dogs. My parents say I’m doing a good job with my new Golden Retriever puppy who is now 6 1/2 months old, as I already trained him to stay in the yard, and he’s already house broken. I can’t seem to stop him from chewing on my favorite shoes. Every time I discipline him for it and hide my shoes, he finds them and chews on them again. How can I stop this behavior?

I'd limit his access to my shoes.

• TK

Why does he have access to shoes, or anything not good for him, while he is learning to control his behavior? Would you put the fine china or crystal on the floor and then "discipline" a toddler for playing with them? I hope not.

The puppy needs to be contained in a safe environment when you aren't right there to watch him. If he grabs a shoe when you are watching, because you haven't put your shoes away yet, then say "No" and replace the inappropriate object with an appropriate chew.

You stop it by doing 2 things:

Put your shoes where he CANNOT get them...up off the floor, in a closet with the door closed, etc.

When you do catch him chewing anything, scold gently and trade the shoe for something he can chew..surely have provided chew toys?

Young dogs teeth and chewing feels good.

● "How do I get my puppy to stop chewing on shoes? I’ve tried everything and he won’t stop!!!?"

EVERYthing?

Don't be ridiculous.

NO-ONE can THINK of everything, let alone TRY them all !

You obviously HAVEN'T tried the 2 that WORK:

🐕1: Tidy every forbidden-to-chew item out of Pup's way.

🐕2: WATCH Pup while he's free to wander - whether he heads to your feet, or to the soft furniture, or to any power cords, or for an open door out of the room. NO concentrating on your computer, your phone, the tv.

At your age you should have an hour of schoolwork aka homework almost every night. Until you have finished your homework and whatever household chores you have, Pup will have to be in a very small SHUT room with you so that you will HEAR every movement he makes, or he must be in a cage beside you from where he can hear+see+scent everything you do - or he must be with someone who CAN concentrate on him until you've finished.

BTW: I am very disappointed that in the last 2 years you've chosen Best Answers for only THREE of your many questions, and had 2 of them removed or suspended by Y!A.

EVERY question should have a BEST answer chosen within a week - a fortnight at the latest. An answer doesn't have to be PERFECT to be BEST - it just needs to be the best of those where the writer tried to be HELPFUL about your question.

● "I’m 14 years old and have had 6 dogs."

That is in the past tense - which is NOT good.

As a child I had only 2 dogs, both given by my grandmother. The first was before my nation had a distemper vaccine, and died within a couple of weeks from distemper. The next, a year later, was AFTER we had a supply of distemper vaccine, and he lived.

So, for EACH of your 6 previous dogs:

💥1: What BREED or mix was it, what AGE were you when you got it, what happened to it, and at what age did it die?

The tiny breeds can expect to live 12 to 16 years, the medium sized breeds (such as Golden Retrievers) can expect to live to 10 to 12 years. The longest I've had a GSD last was 15 years 7 months.

● "My parents say I’m doing a good job with my new Golden Retriever puppy who is now 6 1/2 months old, as I already trained him to stay in the yard,"

I don't accept that wording. The only yards a dog should be loose in are FENCED & GATED ones.

● "and he’s already house broken."

I don't like the word "BROKEN", either! So I won't ask what technique you used.

I prefer HOUSE-TRAINED.

● " I can’t seem to stop him from chewing on my favorite shoes. Every time I discipline him for it and hide my shoes, he finds them and chews on them again. How can I stop this behavior?"

Duh. STUDY my 🐕1 answer.

I have had a GSD who opened a refrigerator, after leaping inside through an open vertical sash window while we were out shopping. But very few dogs can open closets or drawers. If a dog learns how to open a lever-handled door, YOU have to replace the lever with a round knob.

In the 55 years that I have had at least one dog (I had none while at boarding school then university & until I married), I don't think I ever had one chew a shoe. Until she was fully trained, my last homebred did sometimes sneak into my bedroom while I was asleep, take a sock into the passage and "love" it there. I do have one (a purchase, not a home bred) that tore some strips from carpets when I was concentrating on my computer.

💥2: WHEN and HOW do you "discipline" your dog?

The training "rule" is: Unless you can intervene WHILE the dog is misbehaving, you are NOT able to do anything except DISTRACT it to do something interesting - such as chase & fetch a ball or stick.

I'd appreciate you clicking [Edit] under your question, clicking the [Add Update] that pops up, then typing your answers to my 💥 questions.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

😛 To discuss GSDs, join some groups such as

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/GSD_Friendly/i...

by sending an e-mail about yourself to the Subscribe address on that page.

The people in them KNOW about GSDs. Plus you can include several actual photos in your posts.

To find other groups or breeds, type the breed-name into the top field of

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/dir

then choose a couple of groups to Join - use the group's

Message History

on its /info page to make sure that it still has members who are ACTIVE.

😛 Also join

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/The_GSD_Source...

so that you can easily look up all sorts of information about dogs, especially GSDs. It is an "encyclopaedia" group (to which members can ask for new sources to be added), not a discussion group.

Les the aged Kiwi - first pup in 1950; GSD breeder & trainer as of 1968

If it's only the one pair of shoes that he chews on, my advice is just to keep them in a place where he cannot find them. An out-of-reach shelf in a closet or inside of a plastic closing bin might do.

He has likely just learned that these particular shoes are for chewing and the way to stop that is to make it so that he cannot ever chew on them again.

you put them away simply

• Jojo

Puppy`s cannot unlock cupboards or reach up more than a few feet in height, and to say you have tried EVERYTHING to stop this pup chewing on shoes is just NOT the case.

Also the pup legally belongs to your parents as you are under age to be able to OWN a dog. So, what do they say about the shoe chewing?

6 dogs by the age of 14!!! 😮!!! Pull the other leg.

Most of them should still be alive now, so where are they? Still in your house?

The only way to stop a puppy chewing on unwanted items is to make them inaccessible to it, which is easily done, and provide the pup with his own toy box containing a selection of interesting things /toys for it to chew on, and to distract the pup to the toy box, if it tries to chew on anything else but what is in the toy box.

They soon learn to just chew or play with things from the box, and leave any other stuff alone.

Source(s): GSD owner for 56 years. (UK)

If by “discipline” you mean “punish” then you are raising your dog wrong.

Google positive training and read, read, read.

The way to stop him from chewing your shoes is to not leave them where he can get them. As the human in charge you are failing to do your job and provide this dog with a structure where it can be successful.

At 14 years old, and I am sorry to say this, I SHUDDER to think what happened to those other six dogs you claim have had, since dogs tend to live 12-15 years.

• Maxi

Pick them up and put them away in a place where the dog can't get them

Has it ever occurred to you to PROPERLY REMOVE EVERYTHING YOU VALUE AND DON'T WANT YOUR PUPPY (??) TO GET HOLD OF? Don't punish, CORRECT ..... and prevent.

You have managed to train him to stay in the yard? How about FENCING - for the puppy AND the other SIX? dogs?

Like Labs. Golden Retrievers chew - especially if they are coming up to teething.