Michelle asked in PetsFish · 5 months ago

Is storing water for later use (fish tank) alright?

I want to maybe put treated water in a sealed jar, but wondering if that's alright to do. It's for weekly partial water changes for my fish tank. I only have a water conditioner in tabs, not liquid, that treats up to 2 gallons.

It is not ideal to leave water around for too long without a proper seal. It is best to add water that is the same temperature as the rest of the tank water, so it is not great for tropical fish.

I also do not beleive tabs are a very good product.

I higly recommenced you get Amquel or novaqua or Seachums Prime.

I use Prime, , it sounds like you have a small tank. Prime is highly concentrated, it takes two eye dropper drops to treat one gallon of water.

• Michelle5 months agoReport

I actually have a 10 gallon tank. Thanks for the answer tho. And yeah, I thought so about the tabs. And yes, everyone seems to be saying Prime is a good brand. Will plan on getting that as soon as possible.

No, not really. It's fine to store water you've treated with water conditioner for use later, but really not for weeks as it will go stale, grow molds, mildew, bacteria, etc.

Note: water conditioner tabs are not great products. I only recommend Amquel and Novaqua, I use both because of the nature of my tap water. Prime is also a decent product, but harder to measure for small tanks because it's very concentrated. Most other products are crappy.