How do you round 4.495?

I ve been doing textbook work and more than once this issue has showed up, and it s been stumping me for years if I m being honest. If we re rounding it to the nearest whole number, the 5 at the end changes the 9 to a 0 which bumps up the 4 to a 5, thus allowing us to round the 4.495 to 5. Is this a correct method? Or do I just look at one digit. Thanks.

The only thing that matters is the next digit.

I assume you are rounding to the nearest whole number:

4.|495

The only thing that matters is the next digit immediately after the place you are rounding to:

4.|495

....^

If that is *5* or higher, you round up, otherwise you do not. In either case, drop everything after the rounding position.

4.

Another way to think about it:

- Is 4.495 closer to 4 or to 5?

Distance to 4 --> |4.495 - 4| = 0.495 <--

Distance to 5 --> |5 - 4.495| = 0.505

The distance to 4 is smaller, so you would round to 4.

Answer:

4

P.S. Ignore anyone that says consider subsequent digits; they are misinformed.

• Puzzling

My answer was exactly that -- you only consider the digit right after the rounding place. The question used rounding to a whole number as the example, so that's what I did too.

5No, if it was 4.5 or higher it would

• David

It rounds up to 4 to the nearest whole number because 0.4 is less than 0.5

The answer is 4.

• poldi2

When you are asked to round, they usually specify how many significant digits.

4.495 rounded up to 2 or 3 significant digits would be 4.50. The 495 becomes 500.

Rounded up to 1 significant digit would be 5.

The expression is "round up to the nearest whole number, nearest tenth, nearest hundredth, etc" You do it by looking only at the number next to that. So if you are going to round to the nearest WHOLE You look at the TENTH. 0.4 gets rounded down so the nearest WHOLE is 4. If you are going to round to the nearest TENTH you look at the HUNDREDTH. So the 0.09 gets rounded up and you end up with 4.5. If you are going to round to the nearest HUNDREDTH you look at the THOUSANDTH. So the 0.005 gets rounded up and that bumps up the tenths too. So you get 4.50 with the zero indicating that is the degree of accuracy with your rounding. Rounding was very useful in the days of doing math in your head or using a slide rule but today with electronic calculators there really is no need for it.

rounding it to the nearest whole number, you simply look at the first digit to the right.

.4 you ignore all the other numbers to the right

.4 is less than .5

so

4

• martin

You look at more than one digit. The 5 rounds the 9 to 10 which carries over a 1 to the .4, making it a .5 and rounding the whole number 4 up to a 5.

• Puzzling

Following your logic 4.44445 should round to 5? I think you may want to relearn your rounding rules. The only digit that matters is the next digit and the subsequent digits don't matter. 4.49999 rounds down, 4.50000 rounds up, simple as that.

4.495 is to 3 dp

4.50 is 2 dp

4.5 is 1 dp

4 is whole number

(note that 4.5 rounded to whole number is 5, but rounding should not be in stages, it should be from the most precise number)

• Brian

No, if it was 4.5 or higher it would round up to 5 It is lower that 4.5, it rounds down to 4.