Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Home & GardenDo It Yourself (DIY) · 6 months ago

I want to put two poles in the ground to make a clothes line but don't want to use concrete, but something temporary, what can I do?

I want to install a clothes line but need to put something rather than concrete to put the poles in, for I might in the future need to move it or take it up.

What should I put as a substitute for concrete?

• bubba

Use a pipe that is slightly bigger than your poles the you can just remove the poles anytime and fill them with dirt when u are done. You could even set them in concrete but have it lower than the hight of the lawn

You can use polyurethane fill. It's easier to mix, and easier to tear out than concrete. Now it will be work to remove, but easier than concrete. A lot easier to set.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Sika-Polyurethane-Fence-P...

• ron h

I just heard about this suff . sounds pretty interesting.

Consider using a flowable fill. It looks like concrete, sets up in roughly 6 hours, but has a low psi strength so that it can be broken up with a hammed. The states use it below the asphalt on state paved roads. A place like Home Depot might carry this. You do need something to make the posts stable.

Dig some deep and narrow holes for the poles. Put the poles in them and fill with sand or small gravel. Tamp the sand or gravel down tightly.

Make your children stand outside to hold the poles when you want to dry clothes.

Builds character.

Set cement in buckets with poles and construct a set up for your clothes line.

do this: get ya four or six full size concrete block at the hardware. dig holes. bury the block, stacked two or three deep, with holes upward and the upper block shifted away from the other hole by enough to keep the pole upright. This may require putting the block on a 45 degree angle so that the inside corner of the block supports the pole. Backfill the hole, with the pole in the blocks already, with one inch smooth stone -- and the same inside the holes with smaller stone. Use the end of a 2x4 to tamp down the stone every few inches as you do the backfilling. results is the weight of the clothes pull the poles together against the resistance of the block and stones.

Works great in caliche and clay. Lots of tamping required in weaker soils.

Voila!

Source(s): grampa

bury a vertical plastic pipe that the pole can slip into. Then you can leave the pipes if you move.

• Joe

You don't need concrete. Just dig 'em in 2 or 3 feet and angle them slightly away from each other. Easy as falling off a log.

• ron h

I dunno. A clothes line would push / pull pretty hard if there's a breeze.

I have set many fence posts with pea gravel or even just the soil from the post hole. You will be amazed how well this works if you set the posts in at least 2 foot.